Clear all

my first Martin

26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

went and got my first Martin today!! (love that tax man) yea its just a DX1R (those HD-28's are sweet if you got the coin) but theres something about that headstock and logo thats gets me everytime i look at it. sounds better than i wouldve thought too. not a noticeable difference between it and other quality brands in the same price range. not real big on the strings but ive been playing .13-.56's almost since i started playing a little more than a year ago. plays nice and has a good feel too. not a strap button insight though. i wonder what they charge for those:)

"its supposed to be pickin and grinnin. NOT pickin and scowlin"
-the feez

(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Congrats on the Martin!

I've never owned a Martin but I thought/assumed that they always gave you the strap buttons in the case but never installed them on the guitar. I assumed that they left them off so that someone wouldn't scratch the other guitars that were hanging on the wall near it. Just my assumption but I'm usually wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

didnt even come with a case (base model). the salesman told me the cases were ridiculously expensive. theres a hole in the body where the pin would go (i guess) but he said that a block had to be installed??? i figured that i could just put the other side in on heel of the neck myself. i dont know how id go about the one on the body. didnt even really think about it till now. i guess i was in the heat of the moment when i was writing the check. lesson learned i guess

-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

congrats! I notice you said..your first martin.... Are you implying that there's many more to come?!?! :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, congratulations on your new guitar - hope you have many happy years together. You do realise that we do need pics? We need something to drool over, and exude a collective "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!" - and we can't do that without pics!

13's, eh? Man those are heavy strings.....bet they give a nice tone and volume, but there's no way I could press 13's down all the way to the fretboard without some serious working out - and even than, it'd take a while!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

my starter was an inexpensive takamine cutaway. it needed the 13s to be heard in the next room. they were good practice for barre chords. it was a good guitar though. just got real out of wack ( intonation i think). probably couldve had it worked on i just wanted something new. ill keep it for the kids to bang around on.

-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

didnt even come with a case (base model). the salesman told me the cases were ridiculously expensive. theres a hole in the body where the pin would go (i guess) but he said that a block had to be installed??? i figured that i could just put the other side in on heel of the neck myself. i dont know how id go about the one on the body. didnt even really think about it till now. i guess i was in the heat of the moment when i was writing the check. lesson learned i guess

congrats on your guitar.

the salesman may be clueless. the guitar already has an end block inside the guitar -- it's a fundamental part of the construction. the guitar should have come with an end pin to push-twist (friction fit) into the hole in the end of the body. the end pin looks a bit like an over-sized bridge pin. many stores leave them out of the guitars on display, as the end pins are easily stolen. go back an ask for the end pin. the store owes you one.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Enjoy! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

gnease
the guitar already has an end block inside the guitar -- it's a fundamental part of the construction.

could he have been referring to putting a strap button on the otherside (at the neck)?

-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Congratulations on the Martin.........

I've wanted a D-28 since I was 16.........so that's about 39 years of longing.

I'm not going to buy it until I feel like I deserve it.......unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

that's almost the same model I have. Mine's just the plain DX1...do they still use the plastic for the fingerboard? I love the plastic fingerboard. it's so smooth. it's a great guitar. you won't find a better one at that price point, imo.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats on that new Martin! Great guitar!
I've never owned a Martin but I thought/assumed that they always gave you the strap buttons in the case but never installed them on the guitar. I assumed that they left them off so that someone wouldn't scratch the other guitars that were hanging on the wall near it. Just my assumption but I'm usually wrong.
It's correct. My Martin came with the strap button in the case (and I never installed it on the guitar). I don't know there, but here you can also register your guitar. I did it through the distributor in Spain.

And, asasmith, send us pictures! As you probably know we love the pictures! :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, and I hope you enjoy it for a logn time. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You don't need a block installed - the end pin block is already there. You just need an end pin.

I put a strap button on my Martin, drilling into the neck block. The heel of the neck has a taper to it, and there's enough room to mount one. I must have measured 20 times before drilling, though - if you miss it, you could rip a hole in the side.

My Martin's at the school, but I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and show you how I mounted mine.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2