Clear all

my first Martin

26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

gnease
the guitar already has an end block inside the guitar -- it's a fundamental part of the construction.

could he have been referring to putting a strap button on the otherside (at the neck)?

no, and as you can read above, Tom (Noteboat) agrees. installation in the neck heel requires you to purchase a strap button that is attached by a screw. mounting in the neck heel "only" requires drilling a pilot hole in the correct location/orientation. no block is needed. if he was talking about adding the second button directly onto the body rim -- somewhere on the upper bout, that might require a block. but few people do this -- not recommended. watch for Tom's pics on neck heel mounting of the second strap button.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Cool! Keep it in mind that it'll cost you to keep it!

Just today I got my D35 back from getting refretted and a different string accomodation setup (oo9's). It's a Johnny Cash Rosewood #355833 putting it at early 74. So after reading your post about price...I'm wondering what this is worth??? The Martin catalogue says it's $5599 US Dollars ($8.9K Aussie) for a 2009 model. This is 35 years old in pristine condition with the fitted case. Compared to new, the tones have gotten more pronounced at the low end over the years...real ringy/chimey/raspy at the high end...more like a baby grand piano. Nah! Make that a full grand piano! The open low E/A/D's "belong to the world" as far as tone goes. Mind blowingly wonderful to run ProTools over!

Beware...over any sort of time...this is (after all) a precision instrument and it needs a tune up beyond pretty much anyone's expertise "at home". NOW it's intoned everywhere perfectly (goodbye capo) has uniform and better action (frets cantered to my own dynamics) but still plays rather stiff...but, hey, it's good therapy for my fingers. No bones about the sound...even with Ernie Balls on it.

You got yourself a true six string "keeper". You'll grow old and die with it! :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i put the martin sp 13's on it last night. sounded great and played easier than i wouldve thought. ive always used d'addario 13's, but figured i wanted everything to match.

ps: is it weird to smell your guitar? i caught myself just sitting and smelling it while i watched tv last night.

"its supposed to be pickin and grinnin. NOT pickin and scowlin"
-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

My first Martin is 16 years old and my second Martin is 12 years old. I don't own a Martin guitar yet though. :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

ps: is it weird to smell your guitar? i caught myself just sitting and smelling it while i watched tv last night.
I don't know if it is weird but I also do it! When I bought it, the room kept the guitar smell some time.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I like the new guitar smell better than the new car smell. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hey! Is it WEIRD to smell your guitar??? This should be reposted in "How Weird is Weird"!

Hey...there's all sorts of fish glue and esoteric laquers in a fine guitar. The wood is still breathing, too. Wait thirty or forty years...it gets even better!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Hey! Is it WEIRD to smell your guitar??? This should be reposted in "How Weird is Weird"!

I don't think so, I love the smell of my Koa Wood Classical

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

It smells so good when you open the guitar case and you get a big whiff(sp?) of that woody smell!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Had computer problems all morning, so it's taken me a while to post these....

Here's a shot inside my mahogany 000-15. You can see the neck block, which is a bit narrower than the fretboard:

you can see the neck block goes all the way to the back. So if you measure carefully, there's JUST enough room to do this:

many people prefer to mount the button on the neck heel itself, either on the top side as you hold it, or in the back. But I like the way it hangs here better.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

Congrats! I have a friend with a koa D-45 and THAT had no strap button! The hole is there but no button... he said it came with it in the case but he lost it. You'd think they could at least insert the thing on a $5k guitar :) They do play sweet though.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2