Clear all

My First Resonator

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

The string change is pretty standard for Rondo gear. I've bought several basses from them and always immediately change the strings. One set wasn't too bad, but I had another set that was corroded. Maybe from being shipped by sea?

Congrats on the reso, I've got one on my list as well. Will have to listen to samples tonight when I get home.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, I have found this to be true. Hey did you see what Rondo has in their "New Items & Specials" a 6 string bass? http://www.rondomusic.com/product4829.html Entry level but what a project platform! Have to show my boy. Back to the resonator ...... maybe I will do some work on mine. If I put a pickup in it though, I should switch to electric strings. I don't have any heavy ones on hand. The acoustics I have are even a little light for slide. They are 10's. I got Strat pickups laying around here. I got pots and knobs, a spare jack plate ..... yeah ...

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I actually saw this same model, in black, in the window of Ron's Music today, 249 quid! I drooled a little!

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Back to the resonator ...... maybe I will do some work on mine. If I put a pickup in it though, I should switch to electric strings. I don't have any heavy ones on hand. The acoustics I have are even a little light for slide. They are 10's. I got Strat pickups laying around here. I got pots and knobs, a spare jack plate ..... yeah ...

Well give it a shot, if you dont like them get so heavy electric ones. Im thinking of changing to nickle on mine... I have still yet to find a accustic string I like.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@xjsh99)

I just picked up a square neck / lap steel / bluegrass style reso for my father in-law (big Bluegrass fan in Winfield, KS) and he loves it so far. After noodling on it for a bit though, I absolutely want to pick up a reso now!

Glad to find this post, and I think I'd also opt for a version w/a humbucker in it, as I come more from the jazz/electric world. Curious, what amp were you running through on that recording? (apologies if you already posted it on here and I missed it!)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Curious, what amp were you running through on that recording?
It was done all through my Eleven Rack, which is basically a Guitar Multi-Effects Processor / Amp simulator type of thing. I used no amp sim on the mic'd recording. I wanted it as close to natural as I could. any coloration was done by the on-board mic-pre and was hopefully no worse than minimal.

The Amp Model used for the clip using the pick-up used a model based on some sort of Fender amp. Probably the 1967 Fender Twin Reverb model. I really can't imagine using a non-Fender for this test. Personal preference kind of thing. I can't find the project right now to find out for sure. I was a bit too clever with my naming of it for my own good. :evil: :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, Roy! I hope you're having fun with that thing! I've been playing with a toy I got from Rondo about 4 years ago, an SX Lap-1 lap steel. Just put a lipstick pickup in it, which doesn't sound a lot different but looks cool. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@peskypesky)

I just found this thread and am really impressed with the looks and sounds of that SX Reso. I may very well have to order one soon.

Thank you for sharing! :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2