Clear all

My friend is cleaning up his guitar collection

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

He has the following for sale any opinons??

Takamine AN10S
Seagull M6
Ovation Celebrity CS247
Seagull S6+ acoustic electric

He said I could be the first one to choose he has a couple of other buyers

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have the seagull M6. with tax, new i paid $350 three/four years ago. it's a great guitar...same as the S6 but mahogany back and sides...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

All 4 of them are good guitars and in the $350 to $500 range new. I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. If you are interested in pure acoustic the Takamine is probably the best and if you want electric/acoustic then it's a tossup between the Seagull and Ovation.

The big factors are how they play and what he is asking for them. Offer him $800 to $1000 for the lot and resell the ones you don't want.

DISCLAIMER: Just my opinion

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

As I stated in your other post, I'd lean towards the Seagulls. I've never played a Takamine, so can't give you an opinion there. The Ovation Celebrity I owned for 3 years. Didn't like it because of the thick neck, and hard to play sitting down. You should seriously sit down and play them all for awhile. You are the one that has to play them, so whatever feels & sounds good to you is the one to buy.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

If your looking for a long term guitar, probably best to avoid ovations. They don't tend to last too long because the wood in them moves, expands and contracts. The carbon firbre etc doesn't, and so they tend to split (Such is the rumour, fraid I've no experience of it myself).

Takamines are great guitars. The ones I've played have been absolutely stunning, but apparently they can make a few rubbish ones, so play it first and see. In fact, play all of them, see which you like the best!

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ovations last a good 30+ years. I only limit it to that because that is how long they've been around.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I would go with the Tak or the S6. I had found three guitars that I liked when shopping for a 2nd acoustic. One was a Takamine @ $575, one was a Gibson Hummingbird @ $2100, and a Seagull S6 @ $250 used. (BTW, I have learned to hate the weak tone from Martin guitars.) What I most liked about the Tak was the soft V profile neck, which the Seagull also had. The tone on that Hummingbird was great, and while certainly better than the S6, for the price the Seagull couldn't be beat.

I'm a fan.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Ovations last a good 30+ years. I only limit it to that because that is how long they've been around.

I agree as long as they are stored properly. Drastic changes in humidity can cause the bowl to seperate from the top. However I have seen MANY on eBay that are 20+ years old and going for a hefty price.

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I will try to play them later this week. How would you rate the Tak with the Seagull M6. Which one has a higher action, which has a better tone in your opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i don't know anything about the takamine, but i'm completely happy with my seagull. i'd buy it again....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

drastic changes in humidity can destroy any guitar.

I'd take a look at the seagulls first.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Which one has a higher action

Action is adjustable so it really doesn't matter. You can get a nice low action out of almost any undamaged guitar.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote