Clear all

My geetar has "character" now

25 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@todds)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I get home from work last night and my wife has this look like someone in the family has died. She says that she and Jasper (our pet rabbit) did "something" to my guitar (a Seagull acoustic by the way). I'm thinking I'm going to find my baby with her fretboard detached from her body, hanging by the strings. Turns out the rabbit was into something he shouldn't have been, my wife yells at him, he knocks over a baby gate, which falls on the guitar.

For those of you who have ever wondered just how soft the top is on the Seagulls...apparently it's pretty soft. The accident took quite a nice chunk out of the top. But I didn't get upset at all. It was my fault for not hanging the guitar back up on the wall after playing it and it doesn't affect the playability anyway.

I've alway thought nicks and scratches add character to a guitar. Well my baby has a lot more character now than she did the day before.

Just thought I'd share, because I know there are plenty of people here who can relate.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Yeah.. I been noticing alot of characters on my cheapo Montana (Its my favorite guitar). Doesnt really bother me that much. You handled it great though. I know alot of fellows that wouldnt think about it being their own fault.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Ya ever see that old acoustic Willie Nelson plays? That thing has hole in it from his fingers. Looks cool to me.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

So I get home from work last night and my wife has this look like someone in the family has died. She says that she and Jasper (our pet rabbit) did "something" to my guitar (a Seagull acoustic by the way). I'm thinking I'm going to find my baby with her fretboard detached from her body, hanging by the strings. Turns out the rabbit was into something he shouldn't have been, my wife yells at him, he knocks over a baby gate, which falls on the guitar.

For those of you who have ever wondered just how soft the top is on the Seagulls...apparently it's pretty soft. The accident took quite a nice chunk out of the top. But I didn't get upset at all. It was my fault for not hanging the guitar back up on the wall after playing it and it doesn't affect the playability anyway.

I've alway thought nicks and scratches add character to a guitar. Well my baby has a lot more character now than she did the day before.

Just thought I'd share, because I know there are plenty of people here who can relate.

I like that reaction, after all, guitars are meant to be played, it doesn't matter how it looks.

I have an old and VERY heavy wah pedal, one night I decided to put it up high on a desk for some reason and i knocked it over when i bumped into it, at which time it made a small chip in my classical guitar. Similarly, I have a large scratch in my acoustic guitar from a similar accident involving the falling of a large keyboard :D

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My guitar has a character playing it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

My guitar has a character playing it.
Yup, mine to. And I have a lot of dings and road wear. 8)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I set up all my gear for the photo shoot one of my lap steels fell over and nailed my brand new tele.
and I thought i would have at least one guitar without a scratch.
NOT!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Todds I suggest you call a good divorce lawyer ASAP and then let me know how the rabbit stew came out!! :wink:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I know how soft those Seagull tops are, too. I bought mine used and it had lots of character. Pick scratches across the rosette and everything. Mine's also got a very small chunk taken out of it near the top binding, but it doens't go through.

It looks like it's 20 years old.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

This is a great thread. From now on, everytime I drop/ding/bang/scratch/mull/mar/scar my guitar I will think of it as building character. Both its and mine, I'm sure. :)

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good story. Excellent reaction to the incident. :D

It's a bit like that with cars too. I get pretty precious about new paintwork, until that first chip or scratch, then I just relax and let the "character building" progress. 8)

My Seagull has a soft cedar top too. When I looked closely at it there were already a few bumps and wrinkles when I bought it, and some looked like they were on the wood before it even got the finish on. So it was easier to relax about any future "experience marks" it will acquire.

Lovely guitar the Seagull. I had mine a few weeks now and it's blown the others into the corner. Just can't stop picking the Seagull up... :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@thedude)
Trusted Member

It was very nice of you not to yell at your wife or the rabbit since it was a total accident on everyone's part. Significant others are so much more valuable than guitars and rabbits are so cute you cannot get mad at them. Try to get mad at a rabbit...after it twitches its nose a few times you forget what you were upset about. :D

I would love to own one of those beautiful blue Seagull's, but I don't have another $500 for one...yet. 8)

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL174/2016453/3903966/98827354.jpg

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Ya ever see that old acoustic Willie Nelson plays? That thing has hole in it from his fingers. Looks cool to me.

That was my first thought. Hole is big enough to put a ham & cheese on rye through it and have the guitar double as a lunch box.

My father had a thing about his new cars. He'd take the key and lightly nick the paint somewhere inconspicuous, like under the wheel well. This way the car was scratched, he knew the car was scratched, and he knew who scratched it. Anything after that was no big deal.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

Ah hates rabbits. - Yosemite Sam

Me? I'm not so bad. I hate chickens. Rabbits are second on the list. My sister used to have them. All they ever did was chew things they shouldn't have.

Edit:

PS - Kill da wabbit. Kill da wabbit! KILL DA WABBIT! - Elmer Fudd

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

My father had a thing about his new cars. He'd take the key and lightly nick the paint somewhere inconspicuous, like under the wheel well. This way the car was scratched, he knew the car was scratched, and he knew who scratched it. Anything after that was no big deal.

Mike

Excellent strategy! :D

I thought of doing exactly the same thing, for just those reasons. But before I got around to it the car got a small chip on the windscreen, plus a couple of small nicks on the paint at the front. No more worriers after that.

Odd how the fear of something happening is often worse than the actual event.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2