Clear all

My Guitar Journal

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So I thought it'd be a good idea to keep a record of my journeys through guitar land....

1/4/07- First Day of guitar!

I must say, my favorite thing out of my order from Musiciansfriend.com is the headphones. Listening to the album “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn” is simply outstanding on this. Just kidding around, the guitar is amazing, as is the amp. For a total price of about $260 I got a Squier '51 (Sunburst look), Roland Cube 15x Amp, Guitar Bag, Guitar Stand, Tuner, and these headphones(I was serious when I said this album sounds even more outstanding on this though), and a cable cord of course. Oh and I got some guitar book to help me learn as well.

Well today I was quite the retard are first. Yea, I opened up everything, blah, blah. I was so excited and everything. Then I plugged the amp into the wall, (wow, I'm serious, this album sounds 2155456x better with the headphones on. I can't wait till I get to the Dark Side of the Moon >__>), and then I plugged the guitar in, blah blah. Obviously I had to tune the guitar. So I got my tuner, and was so confused on how to get it to work. I read all the instructions and such, wondering how the hell it was supposed to work. I opened up and saw no spot for batteries. Then about 10 minutes later I looked back in the box, and hidden down the bottom there was two batteries. So yea, then I put them in the ‘empty spot' of the tuner, little did I know that there was a spot there for them. >_> Yea, then I tuned the guitar (though I did it pretty good doing it by ear, haha owned). Yup, then I sat there and strummed around a bit. Then I moved all the stuff to my room and kinda got it all organized and such.

Then I started to play around more (wow…I'm getting shivers down my spine hearing this album through the headphones, OMG >__>), and it was awesome. So awesome, so amazing. I played around a lot with the amp to get the sound that I wanted. And I think I got it, though I'll probably play around a lot more (obviously). Then I opened up my book, and did what it said, blah blah. Then I Dad came home and he's like “play something for me!” lol. My dad is awesome, but I was like “ugg, I just got it; I'm a noob with it.”

Then I went back into my room and jammed a little more to myself, later he came in on the computer and listened to me play. Little did I realize that I was playing it for about 3 hours the time he came into my room. Yup. Then I played The “E” Song which is something from the book. I think I did pretty awesome for my first day on the guitar, I really do. I think I'm gonna become a great player if I keep at this.

And a few things I found out today. I accidentally made a noise with the guitar that sounded just like the honk of a bus. I tried doing it again, but of course I couldn't do it. I also played the beginning of the Pink Floyd tune, kind of by accident again. It was some older some, maybe from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It wasn't strumming in any strings, just slamming on the low E string from like the 12th fret to the 7th fret. Yea.

This was boring, but I hope I'll have fun looking back at my entries reading it.

Wish me luck.

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

This was boring, but I hope I'll have fun looking back at my entries reading it.

Wish me luck.

NO - it was fun to read. :) Great idea to keep a diary - I wish I was more systematic about it.... Writing things down is a great way to put everything in focus and see what's really going on.

It's also a good way to learn about theory when you get to that stage. Actually writing out notes and shapes helps entrench the understanding in a better way than just reading the words does.

Enjoy your experimenting - it's always a buzz to think "hey, wasn't that a bit of that song by.... " and then try and do it again, and figure out the next bit.

Happy times...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yes, I think you are right Kevin - you will become a really good guitarist, if you keep it up. You seem to have a very positive attitude, which is really important for any goal you are trying to realize - keep that in mind in the future, Grasshopper! 8) (you might not understand the "Grasshopper" reference, but anyone over 35 in the USA knows it was what a teacher called his student on a tv show in the 70s :wink: - just trying to be funny to the "old" people reading this!)

I really like the diary idea. I tried to log my progress years ago, but got bored of doing it, so I stopped - stupid me!

Just remember, there are times you WILL become frustrated - happens to all of us. When that happens, pull out your journal and read some entries from days when things went great - like today! That will keep you going.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I enjoyed reading about your first guitar-day, Kevin. Three hours flew by while you were having fun, huh?

Keep it up -- try to play some every day if you can.

And, CFB, the proper pronunciation would be GWASShoppah! :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Enjoy your experimenting - it's always a buzz to think "hey, wasn't that a bit of that song by.... " and then try and do it again, and figure out the next bit.
Lol thanks Chris, and yes, it is fun to think that. I was like "hmm...this sounds familiar." Then I listened to the song on the headphones and I was like "AHA! THIS IS THE SONG!"
Yes, I think you are right Kevin - you will become a really good guitarist, if you keep it up. You seem to have a very positive attitude, which is really important for any goal you are trying to realize - keep that in mind in the future, Grasshopper! 8) (you might not understand the "Grasshopper" reference, but anyone over 35 in the USA knows it was what a teacher called his student on a tv show in the 70s :wink: - just trying to be funny to the "old" people reading this!)

Just remember, there are times you WILL become frustrated - happens to all of us. When that happens, pull out your journal and read some entries from days when things went great - like today! That will keep you going.
"Pull out my journal" More like open the file, lolol. 2007'd :P But yea man, I do have a positive attitude about it and thank you. And Grasshopper...sounds familiar. And on being frustrated. Of course, they'll be many, many times. Just gotta fight through them. Thanks CFB.
I enjoyed reading about your first guitar-day, Kevin. Three hours flew by while you were having fun, huh?
Keep it up -- try to play some every day if you can.
And, CFB, the proper pronunciation would be GWASShoppah! :lol:
Margaret
Thanks, and yup the hours did fly by. I'll play some everyday for sure, I shohuld probably create some type of schedule of some sort. Like school......then get exercise..then gutitar...then eat supper...then homework...then more guitar. Haha.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

OK, so Kevin, I need to hijack your thread for a second here, and you are the perfect one to answer this burning question, because we all know that the younger set is better with technology than the older set.

Looking at your post just prior to this one, can you explain to me how you quoted three different posts all in the same thread, and made each poster's name appear in the gray strip at the top of their quote?

This has been driving me nuts cuz I can't figure it out. :oops:

I know how to quote one post and make the name appear in the gray strip, but I can't seem to do more than one.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I know how to quote one post and make the name appear in the gray strip, but I can't seem to do more than one.

Margaret

I'll hijack the hijacking for a while ;-)

Margaret - in order to quote, there is a tag before and after the text you qoute. ['quote] before and ['/quote] after (without the ' - I had to put it there in order to see the tag). Just put ="whatever name you like" after the 'quote'
Hey Joe, this was a cool forum
['quote="Jimi Hendrix"]Hey Joe, this was a cool forum['/quote]
Yeah, lord, I've been thinking about singin up for a while

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think I'm gonna become a great player if I keep at this.

You dont know how TRUE that statement is. You have an awsome dad too. Appreciate him for being supportive.

Way to go man, your on your way.. Just have fun and stick with it.

Jim

PS.. No.. Not boring :lol:

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Better make that anyone over 40. A 35 year old would have been an infant Master Po :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Thanks, Lars! I'd never have figured that one out on my own. :oops:

Hijacking over, nothing to see here, folks. 8)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Hey Kevin,

Congrats on your purchase!

You should consider blogging your experience with the guitar.
http://www.blogger.com/start

Cheers,
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Ah, Gwasshoppah. Actually, David Carradine is in a commercial for something playing that character. My nephew saw it and didn't get it. :?

Ok, on topic. Not boring reading at all. Your enthusiasm is fantastic, Kevin. Not every day will be fun like that but if you keep that attitude, the frustrating days won't get you down. As was said, keeping a journal is a great idea. On a day when you feel frustrated and like you can't do anything right, you can go back and read this and get that excitment back.
Most of the songs I am learning started that way, by accidentally playing some part of them and then wanting to figure the rest of it out. Keep at it.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kevin, like the Cowgirl said, there will be days that are disappointing, but never give up.

There are many of us here, twice, three times, four times your age, that tried guitar earlier in life but got discouraged or distracted and quit. Now here we are back at it, older and maaaybe a little wiser, but still wishing we'd kept at it the first time around, and not wasted all those years.

:)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Better make that anyone over 40. A 35 year old would have been an infant Master Po :wink:

You are correct, but that show hung around for several years in reruns. At least it did locally where I grew up in the NY area.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

You are correct, but that show hung around for several years in reruns. At least it did locally where I grew up in the NY area.
Yes I am not 40 yet, thankyouverymuch. Getting close but NOT there yet. :lol:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2