Clear all

My habit involving guitar picks...

27 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@musicismylife)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Perhaps my new bad habit can be compared to a person chewing a pencil, or picking at an eraser whilst in school, but it goes much further... I have a tendency to hold my pick with my teeth sometimes when I am going over something in my book before trying to play it and this tendency goes much further. Lately I have found myself grabbing a pick to bite even when the guitar is put away.

Does anyone else do this? I mean, it's kept me from picking at my nails or lack-thereof since I began really learning to play guitar and cut the nails on my fretting hand short as was possible without causing pain or bleeding and it's something to do on the bus to and from work each day, when I would much rather be able to pull out my guitar and practice. You won't believe how impossible it is for me to keep from thinking about music or playing guitar. It is hardwired into my brain.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I stick mine in my teeth when I'm turning pages. But I'm not gnawing on it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I usually leave the pick over my thigh but when I need more "mobility" (turning pages, arranging cables, etc.) I hold it with my lips.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

not me. I keep em in that little pocket of my jeans.
when I am woodshedding and need to turn a page or grab a tuner I do hold it briefly between my lips.
I never bite it. I don't bite, despite my avatar. a lot of times I find that I can palm it and do all kinds of things with the fingers.
you shouldn't bite things other than food. perhaps you need some worry beads?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Between my lips if I need both hands, never between my teeth.

Now sax reeds are a different story. While assembling the sax, I put the reed in my mouth, on my tongue to moisten it. I actually like the taste of new cane reeds.

♫ Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I sometimes sit here and type a bit with fingerpicks and a thumbpick on my right hand, and a slide on a left hand finger. They make nice percussive sounds.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@musicismylife)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Between my lips if I need both hands, never between my teeth.

Now sax reeds are a different story. While assembling the sax, I put the reed in my mouth, on my tongue to moisten it. I actually like the taste of new cane reeds.

♫ Notes ♫

They do taste good don't they! I feel the same way. However, that is something that comes with playing the sax or another instrument that uses reeds. I guess I am the only one that actually winds up chewing on the picks (I don't chew on reeds, that would ruin the reeds.) so it must be just a weird thing I do...

ReplyQuote
(@musicismylife)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I sometimes sit here and type a bit with fingerpicks and a thumbpick on my right hand, and a slide on a left hand finger. They make nice percussive sounds.
My typing is loud enough not to need picks of any type to make a good noise of clacking keys on my computer. LOL

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

I hold my pick in my teeth when playing fingerstyle (assuming that I was using it previously of course). I have only destroyed on pick by chewing however. I do often find that the pick has been hanging out of my mouth for a long stretch every now and then though. As for the bus, I leave my pick in my pocket and read a book. Picks are usually mixed in with the change in my pocket though.

ReplyQuote
(@hammer1)
Trusted Member

I have "pick in mouth" disease too. I don't really chew it, just keep it there when both my hands are needed -- one hand holding a chord and the other either on the computer, or turning a page, etc. Usually it's no problem, except when my jam partner lent me his pick one time, and of course it found it's way into my mouth. As soon as I put it in between the ole choppers, my mind went "whoops". Needless to say, it's my pick now. :)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You should lick 'em and stick 'em to your forehead like I do. Not only do you never lose them, but nobody wants to borrow them either.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mucus and earwax are good for sticking 'em down.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I wonder where they keep them in prison? OK, thats as low as I'm gonna go ...... :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I hold the pick between my lips when I'm writing or looking something up, watching a video lesson or just not using it at the moment. Then when I go to use it I can't find it. :roll:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I hold it with my middle finger, just like when I play......don't know where I picked that up....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2