Clear all

My New Floyd Rose Guitar

26 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well I sold a few things on ebay and my paypal account was getting a little fat so I decided to buy ANOTHER guitar.

It's a Floyd Rose Original Series DSOT-2. Of course it has a FR trem and something that I haven't had on a guitar, staggered tuners.

I found it on SALE at MF for $149, now they jacked it back up to $299 so I think I did OK.

Here's the link to it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Floyd-Rose-Original-Series-DSOT2-Electric-Guitar?sku=514380

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I've been hearing good things about the Floyd Rose guitars, congrats on your new toy! BTW, they still have the Discovery Series DST-2 on sale for $149. Bad thing about that one is you have to use those specially made strings...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Floyd-Rose-Discovery-Series-DST2-Electric-Guitar?sku=511821

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Looks like you got one sweet deal on that guitar.

Very nice!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Congrats on the great find! That hole in the headstock gives it a unique look, its cool :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've gotta say that I didn't really like the hole in the head stock at first but I do now.

Oh yeah, the PUPS measure 18K at the bridge and 16.5K at the neck. NO sharp frets, nice neck, and funny looking pickguard. I'll probably get used to that too. Very well made guitar(I don't own any expensive guitars so take this into account.).

Does anybody here know enough about Floyd Rose Trems to say that this is what people call an Original Floyd Rose or a Licensed Floyd Rose. I don't have a good pic of the Trem but the one on the MF site is exactly like mine.

Heres their pic.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

and funny looking pickguard. :lol: Everyone says that, but I like that pickguard!

And, yes, that Floyd Rose trem is the real deal. There have been design variations over the years. ya don't think Floyd Rose would build a guitar & then put a knock-off on it, do ya? :P

EDIT Check out the one on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Don't forget the headstock too !

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the comments and thanks katmetal for the info on the trem. I was hopeful that it was the real deal.

I have yet to intonate it or adjust the action. Other than those 2 things this is one sweet ride.

After living with it a few days I'll have to say that the PG has grown on me. :D

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

A tip on the Floyd Rose for string changes; everyone thinks this is a nightmare setup, but this video makes it very easy to understand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4

ReplyQuote
(@shredmastadave1112)

thats gotta be one of the sickest guitars ive ever seen, congratulations on the great price. have fun with it.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just watched that video on youtube. It looks easy. But things always look easy when your watching someone who knows what they're doing. I'm sure that when the time comes that this vid will be of some help to me.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats on the new guitar! :D

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I just watched that video on youtube. It looks easy. But things always look easy when your watching someone who knows what they're doing. I'm sure that when the time comes that this vid will be of some help to me.

Thanks!

It is the best instruction I have seen on replacing stings on this trem system, & it is easy. Most folks don't bother blocking the trem like he instructs you to, & then the thing is sunk down into the cavity at an odd angle, & that's when problems/annoyances can start to occur.

Have fun with that guitar, I would sure like to add it to my collection!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new guitar & great deal you got! :D It sure is very unique looking. I like it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This guitar is really growing on me. You can imagine what kind of noises I am making with this thing.

It stays in tune. I haven't gotten too wild with the whammy but I am still impressed with how well it stays in tune.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2