My New (Used) Squie...

Notifications
Clear all

My New (Used) Squier Strat...

75 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

First...sorry no pics yet. I just opened the box a few minutes ago and played a tiny bit with it. I'll get pics soon.

The first thing I noticed was the case...a VERY nice case...not a wooden case but good enough for car travel. I'd say retail about $70-$80...locks work great and it's durable.

The guitar needs a good cleaning but I must be honest and say it's definitely better than my Behringer...as much as I love my Behringer this just fels better. Rosewood fretboard and the action was set exactly where I like it..I don't think I'll need a setup but will see if it holds tune. The strings were TERRIBLE! You can tell the seller wasn't a guitarist...the B string is BLACK...ICK! But even with the nasty strings I tuned it up and MAN it sounded great! Nice and crisp and clean. No hissing and the Tone and volume knobs are silent! The tuners felt great but you can tell whoever strung it didn't know how to string a guitar right. A lot of turns around the tuner..LOL! But even with all that it really does sound GREAT!

The cable jack is a bit loose (probably because the trem bar was in there...LOL! Not for shipping but in the pics!) so I'll have to take the plate off and tighten it up.

The accessory box is great and will be very useful. It locks well and is padded on the inside. The leather strap is definitely used so I'll take the one off my Behringer and put that on there.

As for the cleaning, I think I asked this before but it couldn't hurt to ask again...can you take ALL the strings completely off a guitar at the same time? I really want to clean this the right way and do a good job. Also it has a few scratches (very minor) and I was wondering if you can use scratch remover that you would use for a car. I got this stuff called GS27 that is EXCELLENT on a cars paint. I think it should be OK and I'll try it out on a small area first.

Overall I think I got a GREAT deal and I am realy happy with it! I just need to know about removing the strings so I can get to cleaning it and tak some pictures!

Thanks

(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Sounds like you got a good deal Mike. Enjoy it.

As for removing the strings, I always remove all of mine at once. My LP I have to be careful with so the bridge doesn't fall and hurt my finish, but I've been told by many people that it will not hurt your guitar by removing all the strings at the same time. I prefer that method as well so I can oil the finger board and wipe between the pegs on the headstock, etc.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sounds like you got a good deal then Mike. Good luck and enjoy.

As far as removing all the strings the simple answer is yes you can. From what I remember from the Ebay pictures it did not look like the type of trem bridge you have to worry about just watch closely for loose parts. The only other possibility is you may need to end up re-leveling the trem when you re-string it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Oh yeah, you can try the scratch remover but try it in a not so obvious spot just in case there is a reaction between the two different chemicals.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

whereas I never put much stock in Squires my opinion has changed. played a few good ones. so I stand corrected.

so you have a new used? please leave the scratches. it is character.
however, you can safely remove all strings at once. that is the best way for a thorough cleaning. and stay away from hosehold products. tap water is safe. remember damp not wet cloth.

Im surprised that you posted so quickly after getting the box open. if it were I you would nt have heard from me in a day or two.
thanks for sharing your excitment. it's contagious.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I like Squiers. Every one I've played was pretty good, both guitars and basses.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Talking about frustrating! I just broke the D string while tuning/stretching my new guitar and I am using .09's. The only spare I have is .10's!! Arrg!! The D string is a .24 on the .09's and a .26 on the .10's! AAARRRGGGG!!!!!

Off to the store I guess! ARRRGGG!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OK..I got the strings and al sounds great except that I noticed a bit of buzzing on the G & D strings at the 12th fret. I forgot where I adjust this? Is it the allen screws on the bridge?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yup that's them

Did you go down to 9's? What I mean is did it maybe have 10's on it and you replaced them with 9's. Either way it would be worthwhile checking the neck relief then the string height.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yup that's them

Did you go down to 9's? What I mean is did it maybe have 10's on it and you replaced them with 9's. Either way it would be worthwhile checking the neck relief then the string height.

I wouldn't know how to check or adjust the neck relief nor do I feel comfortable with adjusting it...

I'll try the string height...it does look a bit low on those 2 strings

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

All the steps for a basic setup are on my web site. You can check things without making the adjustments. That way you know if it needs to be done or not.

No harm can be done in checking and it's easy and free.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

congrats on your guitar

you said it was used, what year is it? You can check the serial num,ber on fender's website.

maybe squiers are starting to take a turn for the better, my friend has one, and I cant figure out how he can stand playing that thing

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

congrats on your guitar

you said it was used, what year is it? You can check the serial num,ber on fender's website.

maybe squiers are starting to take a turn for the better, my friend has one, and I cant figure out how he can stand playing that thing

It's the 20th anniversary model so whatever year that was

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

All the steps for a basic setup are on my web site. You can check things without making the adjustments. That way you know if it needs to be done or not.

No harm can be done in checking and it's easy and free.

OH I know something needed to be done by the buzzing. I think I got it now but I had to turn the screws almost 2 full turns to get it set. By the looks it seems about the same as my Agile now...I plan on taking it in and having it setup for .10's though...I thought about it and I wanted one electric with .10's just for a different sound/feel.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Mike. Glad it turned out good for you. Looks like you're all set for those long winter days. Enjoy!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5