My personal Christmas present

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I got a little bonus from work and went and splurged on a new guitar. I really want a REAL Les Paul but unfortunately at this time I really can't use the money I have for that with so many things I need for the house so instead I decided to take the plunge and buy a Epi Les Paul Std.

I won't go through the details of how I ended up with this one but it wasn't my favorite color but it's a nice looking guitar. Everything is gold plated (in my opinion cheesy gold plated) and I don't like the gold at all so eventually I'd liek to change everything that is gold.

I knew before I bought it that I was going to change the pickups. Now I just have a bit more to change.

Soncially it's OK. I haven't played it much (Twice with the band but not through my amp).

This came up in another thread but I don't particularly like the sound of the guitar when it's unplugged, it may just be because it's different I don't know.

The price was OK I paid $420 for the guitar its a red metallic color.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Nice! Sounds like a plan. It will be very personal with new pickups and hardware. I like the color. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Blue Jay. The color is actually growing on me a bit. The picture is bad since it was taken with my cell phone and you really can't see the finish but it's a metallic red.

It's a fairly solid guitar and everything looks and feels good. There is a tiny dent like impression that you can't really see on the back that you can only see in the right light so it's no big deal. They took $40 off because the bridge stop or whatever it's called seemed a bit dull.

I asked if I could take the guitar and return it and have them order a brand new one from the factory but they said if they did they'd have to charge the full price which was $600. I decided it wasn't worth it and kept the guitar.

Feels pretty good I like the neck alot better than the Jackson I have and never play. I'm going to have to think about selling that guitar soon. It's not quite as nice feeling as the Strat neck but close.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Sweet! Pictures don't do the geetars justice. I can imagine how nice the finish is. I was a little disappointed when I saw the picture of my bass on the Rondo site. It looked powder blue, but it actually turned out to be a deeper metallic blue.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like the red. Gold plated hardware's not something I like, either, but I've never felt it was worthwhile to change it. If it works, I'll let it be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea Ric agreed, but since this is just some cheap plating it always tends to wear out quickly and then get dull. I haven't had a guitar with cheesy gold plating before but I have bought many other things like lamps etc and I'm sure it's probably a similar material. Now if it was real gold I might like it.

I could/should do a complete set up myself but I just don't have the time. So I'm debating whether or not to bring it and have it done and see if that makes any difference, but I'd hate to lay down $35-50 bucks and then return the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I haven't seen any gold plating on guitar parts that wasn't cheesy, thin, and worn through to white base metal in places after a few months of playing. That's just the way it is. They ought to at least plate it over yellow brass.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Epis are good guitars and the red color is very cool. And I prefer the black knobs to the 'normal' knobs.

By the way, I don't like the gold hardware but for some guitar colors the global result is better with the gold than the chrome.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice! Welcome to the Epi LP club! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My 2 Epi Les Pauls are my favorite guitars. (And I have 2 Gibson Les Pauls, a Studio and Special) Mine sound amazing unplugged but I did hand pick them at music stores. For the Honeyburst I had a choice of about 4 instruments with different finishes and it is the one that played and sounded the best, especially sounded the best unplugged. I noticed this particular one was heavier than the others too, it is even a touch heavier than my black one. Congratulations on your new aquisition, I hope it works out for you. It is a pretty guitar. As far as the neck goes, I'm of the school that Les Pauls and Stratocasters are not even the same instrument. It will feel different to you.

P.S. I'm not a fan of gold hardware myself. I got a couple with it. My Les Paul Studio has it and it is higher quality than my other guitar with gold, my Kramer Standard Pro. Oh wait, I think my acoustic might have gold tuners. :? I got lots of black chrome but I like the old fashioned chrome and nickle the best.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, Cnev. Welcome to the club.

Yes, a set-up is a must. I'd wait until you change string guages if you'rer going to do it. Else, go ahead and do it. Doesn't take a ton of time.

I like the gold paint trimming. I've got it on my PRS SE Paul Allender and my Epi LP Custom. I think it jazzes it up a bit. It will wear through and dull out on you. I guess that's what I'm going to call it anyhow. As far as pickups, I have some Seymour Duncans in my Epi LP Standard. Sounds good enough for me. Duncan distortions in the bridge and '59s or something in the neck. It rocks. I don't play a whole lot of the heavy stuff yet, but I didn't want two LPs sitting around sounding alike. Why have 'em?

Well, have fun with your new prize. You should be amazed at how tight the guitar stays. Yeah, you gotta tune it, but aside from that, once it's set up, it's golden. I measure the truss rod relief every year. Hasn't budged yet. this year will be five years.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

An LP Baby !

Congrats and make sure it stays away from the poodle in your avatar...

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's been my experience Les Pauls in general tend to stay setup.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Rahul how's it going haven't seen you around much lately. The dog in my avatar is Pee Wee (well her name is Star but to me she looked like a Pee Wee so that's what I call her)

Technically she's not a poodle she's a Peek-A-Chon which is a mix of a Bischon Frise and a Pekingese. The Pekingese have those squished noses that I don't like and I told my wife if the dogs were born with those noses I didn't want it. We already had another dog but as ou can see she looks more like a Bichon than a Pekingnese and she's one of the best dogs I ever had.

When we have band practice she likes to come down and sit on the couch and listen to us no matter how loud we play and we play loud usually. The other dog runs as soon as he hears the drums. But he's a Lhasa Apso who are supposed to have very excellent hearing so the drums may be hurting his ears.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh sure! Get people talking about their children ...... :lol:

But .... as long as we are on the topic ....... here is my youngest.

His name is Lucifer but we call him Louie. He is an American Bombay. To quote Spinal Tap ... "None more black!".

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2