Clear all

my pickup switch is backwards

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently took my guitar in for a setup. Upon bringing it home, I realized that the pickup switch acts in the opposite of what it used to.

I'm not sure if that is clear..
Pickup1 - Both - Pickup2
Pickup2 - Both - Pickup1

I want to now if it is wrong now or was wrong when I bought it.

The guitar is a Squire Telecaster. Currently, the switch set forward (away from switches) produces a nicer, cleaner sound. Setting it back is a louder, more gravelly sound.

I think that it is correct this way, since the lower pickup is higher, which would explain the increase in volume.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Either down or back to bridge should be the bridge pickup and up or forward should be the neck pickup.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

On a Tele, switch forward (toward the neck) should sound pretty clean, have a lower level and be mellower. Switch back will be edgier and usually louder. Sounds as if it came back to you corrected.

As Nils describes, the switch position is physically indicative of the active pup(s) -- e.g., forward switch position is forward pup. It's easy to check this by tapping on the pups to hear which are on for each position.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

On a Tele, switch forward (toward the neck) should sound pretty clean, have a lower level and be mellower. Switch back will be edgier and usually louder. Sounds as if it came back to you corrected.

Thats good to hear.

Is this a common problem? I would have never known on my own. Should I watch out for this when buying (cheap) guitars?

Also, I couldn't really tell if tapping on the PUPs was doing anything.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Try tapping gently on the metal pole pieces with a coin. You should hear it at the amp if the pup is active.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Try tapping gently on the metal pole pieces with a coin. You should hear it at the amp if the pup is active.
ok.. got it. i can tell after turning up the amp.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I wouldn't say its a problem at all...It's just backwards...It all still works, so whats the big deal?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I wouldn't say its a problem at all...It's just backwards...It all still works, so whats the big deal?

Right, it is just a minor thing. I played 3 months with it backwards. Even if was still backwards, I wouldn't have worried about it too much. But it is nice to know that it is correct now.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yup, and it is easier to remember back for bridge and forward for neck anyway. Like Taso said, no big deal but nice to have it right.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

hey dude just flip the switch round problem solved :?

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey dude just flip the switch round problem solved :?

Minus Human

the problem wasn't just that the switch was backwards, it was that I didn't know what the correct way was.

It is fixed and aok now.

ReplyQuote