Clear all

My search for a great MIM strat continues

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I found a 2002 model that is sunburst with mapel and has a gold alum guard but comes with the original also and hard case. Guy wants 286 for it. He's a player himself because he's "thinning his herd" Is this a good price? I haven't played it yet. I'm still waiting a few weeks before I buy to see what other kinds of deals will pop up with christmas comming.

I'm close to owning a strat though

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that sounds like a typical price. also check out g&l tributes for strats in that price range.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think I paid about $350 when I bought mine new around that time. If it's in good condition that's not a bad price.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

286? Is there a reason for such an exact price?

An extra P/G and a case are an easy $70 - so $200 for a good strat is a good price. Plus maple on a burst is kind of an odd-ball, they are usually rosewood boards on the mexi's and I'm a sucker for odd-balls. If it has vintage kulson style tuners than it's a MIM 50's and that is a really good price as they usually get a premium over the standards. I might be off on the maple over burst but every burst I can remember including a lefty I have in parts is a rosewood neck.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is the guitar I was referring to. Mapel and Sunburst isn't odd, just rare. Always loved that color and I love Mapel necks.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/3333754719.html

This another I'm looking at. Please give me your opinions on both guitars.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/3404239197.html

Again as you can see I have a thing for mapel necks on my guitars. Just looks great IMO. I really like the sunburst color but I'd go the extra money for the better axe

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Odd means strange, occasional or rare. They is little difference between them. They are both very classy looking and both look cared after. The black one's said to have updated pickups but the tuner install looks abit weak, kluson's are difficult to keep anchored on a good job, not a major issue but a concern. The burst has got the humbucker - there was a time when I would have deducted points for that, but it is older and maybe better for it - and would you go through the trouble of changing out a pick guard on a guitar that sucked? But that black on black is so cool.
I always find I'm happier with a new guitar and a hundred dollar bill in my pocket than with a new guitar but either will make you happy I'm sure.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

The black one is super cool!

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Theres been better stock posted yet on craigslist since I've posted these. I figured it would be that way close to christmas. I'm three weeks away from buying so we'll see what comes up. Honestly though that sunburst just talks to me. I go back to it every day lol. It looks so cool

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sunburst on a strat is about as common a paintjob as there is on a strat, besides plain white or black. what's drawing your eyes back to that one is the gold pickguard, which is pretty rare with sunburst. you can always replace a pickguard, though.

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

Too many times we let our eyes pick the guitar. You certainly don’t want an ugly guitar but a lot of the cosmetic things can be changed. Make sure you play them and feel how they play and sound to you.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Six oyea my eye keeps going to that sunburst and mapel. What a pair! I've not played any yet. Will be three weeks before I even narrow down my picks. But if its still there, its going to be in the top five! There is another I found but its a FS and I don't know much about those, but it has a gorgrous metialic blue paint job

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

FS?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Six oyea my eye keeps going to that sunburst and mapel. What a pair! I've not played any yet. Will be three weeks before I even narrow down my picks. But if its still there, its going to be in the top five! There is another I found but its a FS and I don't know much about those, but it has a gorgrous metialic blue paint job

When I picked up guitar agean about 5 years ago, I was playing a MIM burst/maple neck strat. She was a looker, and I tell you this one had a good sound also!! Much better with someone else playing it but me :D I loved the maple neck.. but frankly could not grow to love the narrow, steep curve the fretboard had.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I bought it, that sunburst with the gold guard. I love this guitar so much! Fenders are incredible!

ReplyQuote