Clear all

Need a little help

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm having some trouble getting the right strumming pattern/timing for the chorus of The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go." My admittedly poor ear hears a series of eighth and sixteenth notes. I think DD/dududu might work, but I'm still struggling with it. Actually, I'm a little surprised it is giving me fits. I was hoping all of you experts could help a poor schmuck like me get it right. Thanks.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, punk relies a lot on downstrokes, and i think he plays this all as downstrokes. the way he splits up the chords is where the catch is. he's playing 8 even downstrokes divided up 3,4,1 on the chords of the song, so it'd be AAADDDDA rest, or whatever the actual chords are. he's also starting on the two, and ending on the one, which is why the rest between riffs fits.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

It is hard to hear because the guitar is so quiet, but I have the book of the music, so if you want, i'll figure it out and post it for you.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Maybe this link will help, David is good at explainging things :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRX2spA4y8

He has over 100 lessons on YT, and I'm a member of his web site, which is very good :

http://www.nextlevelguitar.com/

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

sdolsay...thanks a lot. That YouTube clip was extremely helpful. Exactly what I needed. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Anytime, glad I could help :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote