Need Help Shopping

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello!

I have this thing for a les paul i don't know what it is but i just really like something about those guitars.

So i thought i'd go "window shopping" for my les paul today fully intending on buying as soon as i can. They only had 2 Epi Les pauls which i tried out. After struggling through my sudden case of amnesia i played one or 2 tunes, and as i was playing i was quite dissapointed with the sound of both. i don't know if it was the amp ( Marshall MX30 ) or the old strings but my epi explorer even when it had stock pickups could blow them away.

The one was a les paul classic and the other seemed very similair to a les paul custom. they sounded really thin both clean and distorted.

Could it have been the amp ? Or ?
:(

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

You must remember that Explorers have much "Hotter" higher output pickups, so it's unlikely that an LP would sound as thick.
However, I don't think I've ever heard somebody refer to a Les Paul as being Thin sounding. It is quite likely that it was the amp. Try them both again and set the amp EQ all to 5 (if the amp has "contour" like many new marshall, turn that rright down). Alternatively, go to a different music shop!

I would strongly recomend that you look outside of Epiphones. Companies like Tokai make Les Paul copies that blow the socks off Epi's, in craftmanship, sound and quality.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Tokai ?? i've never heard of those i'll check out some reviews on the net. seeing as my pocket needs to be considered in this purchase i was looking at a epi les paul custom , what do you guys think?

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=47&CollectionID=6

i figured if it didn't sound like i wanted i could just pop in a set of gibson 496R 500T pups :twisted: sound good ??

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'm great at spending other folks money. I would say good things happen to those whom wait. Why not save a little more funds up and get a Gibson Les Paul or even a Les Paul Studio. You'll notice a big diffence in the way they play and sound.

Just my opinion

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ahh forrok, i was hoping you would give your opinion. Honestly i thought about that. The only thing is they are damn expensive here, i'll see if i can't find an online shop that can ship at reasonable cost. any suggestions ?

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
 Engl
(@engl)

I can say for sure that a Epi Les Paul isnt supposed to sound thin, Im guessing the amp sucked or something. Playing my Epi Les Paul Custom through an Orange AD15 produces the most wonderful fat and powerful tone.

If you want a Les Paul, Id look into a Epiphone Elitist, like this one:
http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/custom.htm

They are very well built guitars, you wont get "Gibson" on the headstock but youll get right about everything else desireable about a Les Paul, but at a lower price. The Epiphone Elitist series are very good for their price range, but the cheaper Epiphones arnt anything special IMHO.

Oddly enough, the best Les Paul I ever played was a cheap Aria Pro II Les Paul copy with original Gibson pickups in it. It didnt look too healthy, but played like a dream and had a tone (even unplugged) that was just out of this world. Would have bought it if it was for sale, but it wasnt :/

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I've got a similar lust for an LP. They've got those sexy body lines and that pickguard that makes it look like a rocket ship. And then that thick tone...

Anyway, I've not played one, but from what I heard the Epi pickups can often leave somthing to be desired (but not always) and the tuners can go out of whack. If I ever bought one I'ed replace the pups with somthing from Seymore Duncan and probably get some locking tuners. So upgrades will probably follow a purchase, plan for that.

You also might want to try a top notch Gibson right after an Epi in the same amp to compare. That might give you a better idea of quality.

And like sombody else said, you may just want to do some more saving and get yourself a Gibson studio version. You'll particularly want to look around in the used market. I think they run about 800 USD or so. It'll be of better quality finish and craftsmanship without such a hefty price tag. Somthing I'm personally considering.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Have a look at Rondo Music - The Agile range have good reviews (as good or better than Epi) and are vastly cheaper.
Take a look at the 2800 ($250) or the 3000 Ash ($350) (I love the grain on that guitar).
I've played (albeit very shortly) one of their SX LPs. It was very nice - looked good, good neck and action, just sorry I didn't try it through an amp. I might have bought it but there was a 1" gouge along the side of the neck. Was a very classy wine red Studio vesion, that they no longer appear to do.

Oh, and it was HEAVY! Like the body was made out of granite.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

If you feel like you must buy a copy check out Tokai. But maybe it is time to move on up to a real Gibson Les Paul, even if you have to save for awhile.

ReplyQuote