Skip to content
need some advice on...

Notifications
Clear all

need some advice on buying a new guitar and stuff...

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

so yeah, I havn't been playing for that long and my budget would be around $300 bucks in all, I'd probably go a little over. I was thinking of getting an Ibanez or an Epiphone Special II (should be around $200) and a new amp around $100, so if anyone could help it would be cool

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

What type of music? You might want to go a bit over with the amp. I'm not a huge fan of the lower priced epis, but there are plenty of serviceable ones. How a look for used and choose carefully.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thats a good point, I should have thought about that before. But yeah, the music is pretty much rock (anything new Blink 182, 3 Doors Down etc, and some older stuff Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.) but I would also kinda' want my own origional sound....but thats not what your looking for in a guitar....so anyone else???

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check this out:
http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000csb.html

Agile LP for $99 !!!!
you can also go to:
http://www.rondomusic.net/

for others besides the LP

I've heard good things about these guitars. I don't have one, but would've when I was just starting out.

That gives you $2 -c-notes for you Amp :)

Just a thought...??

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

You have several very good options at what you want to spend, believe it or not.

If you are only going to have ONE guitar, get this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511921/

I have one, and it is extremely versatile, as well as of very high quality. VERY high quality. Honestly, I have picked up guitars costing literally five times as much that weren't put together near as well. The electronics are great, too--no need to upgrade, maybe ever. Fast neck, easy to play....you can't go wrong. I love mine, and would never sell it. It does take you over budget, but if you can swing the guitar, eat Ramen for a month and you can get a killer amp with what you save!:lol:

If you are going to build a guitarsenal, then the Squier Tele is a great place to start. It's $200 or so, has good tone, is built like a tank, lots of tonal variation, and you can upgrade it when you are ready and have an awesome guitar for peanuts. The neck is actually a surprise on these--smooth as silk and pretty as all get-out! I have one of these (walnut stain finish) and I love it. The Squier Teles are one of the best values in guitars at any price point. They have more "bad-boy" vibe to them than you'd think, so watch out for the girls if you get one.

The Oscar Schmidt OE-30 is am amazing value, too. Only $149!!! It is a semi-hollow, but you can get monster tone from it and it distorts surprisingly well. Two quality humbuckers, Grover tuners, and they are gorgeous. Great neck, too, and fully bound--even the f-holes! Pretty cool. There are pics around the boards here of virtually every color they come in. Mine's blue, and it is beautiful but I am not much of a photographer.

As far as amps, I have one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480022/

It sounds great clean, and the effects are basically four of their pedals built in! Lots of fun, and it is LOUD. No reverb, though. I bought a Digiverb pedal and no I rule the world from my practice room!

Orange makes some cool amps in the "Crush" range. The 15R is $119 or so (around here they are $89!), has reverb, and the overdrive sounds remarkably tube-y. Well made, too, and Orange amps are very hip. Crate makes a nice little 15-watt job as well. I think that the Roland is the best deal, though, because of the effects built in.

If you go used, check Craigslist often. I got a Epi G-400 with a Crate 15R for $250 a couple days ago. Ebay has Epi's of that quality for pretty close to that money all the time also.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

Whoa! Triple post! Sorry!

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

:D Gee, even I usually only manage a double post...

I'll second the suggestion of the Godin, I have an upscale version that I practice on regularly because it's easier to handle than my LP and more versatile than the Tele.

Behringer and Vox also make modelling amps that will give you a variety of tones to experiment with, the Roland is a solid piece of kit though.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Check this out:

Agile LP for $99 !!!!
you can also go to:

I've heard good things about these guitars. I don't have one, but would've when I was just starting out.

Just a thought...??
WHOA!!!!!!!! :shock: HOW COME I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PLACE BEFORE???!!!! AND WHY ARE THEY SO CHEAP???!!!!! LPs ARE MY FAV.!!!!!! :shock: :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Lot's of people around here swear by the Rondo stuff.

My only warning is this. The LP is a heavy beast. No bad for my big butt, but if you're a small person, it might be a little much for a beginner.

Folks, how about those Squire Affinity packs? Under $300, lots of Affinity fans around it seems.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

If I were just starting out with my gear with what I know now (after just under a year, mind you), I would grab that $100 Agile LP (I have an SX from Rondo, great service. The SX I have is $150. Wouldn't trade it for anything.) and spend the rest of my money on an amp. I highly recommend the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. It has 11 differnet amp models, from a ultra clean boutique model, through classic Fender and Vox amps, to super metal sounds of Marshall and Mesa amps. Throw in that it also has 11 separate effects to play with, and you get a ton of different sounds from one solid amp. Before I got my Vox, I had a little 10w Marshall (MG10CD) and really didn't enjoy playing around with it much at all. Definitely don't just settle for the cheapest amp in the place, at the very least.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check this out:

Agile LP for $99 !!!!
you can also go to:

Just a thought...??
WHOA!!!!!!!! :shock: HOW COME I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PLACE BEFORE???!!!! AND WHY ARE THEY SO CHEAP???!!!!! LPs ARE MY FAV.!!!!!! :shock: :D

Youngrawker..
I know huh? I don't know why so cheap. Alot of folks here have them and rave about them. Yeah the LP is a heavy beast, but I'm a big guy and I don't mind it. I have an EPI LP Custom.

One of those those Squier start pacs may not be too bad a thing to look into. I'd suggest going into a music store though, stay away from the larger chain stores. Ask them if they'll set the guitar up for you, (that's a way to adjust the string heighth, or "ACTION" in case it comes set from the factory a MILE High. Also have them put on a set of good, quality strings on there for you. This will do two things... 1 Ensure that the guitar is playable, at least by an experienced player and 2. It'll have been looked at and gone over one last time by someone who knows if there's any defects or something wrong with it right out of the box, which is something hard for a newbie to detect. If you order from online, you won't have that customer service of someone local/close doing a once over on your rig.

Also if you haven't already, its a good way to establish a 'repore' with your local music, mom and pop, place... always a good thing. Take your time and find the right Guitar that's for you. Don't be shy, ask questions, most times they're happy to chat and show ya stuff, (like how to change the strings on the thing) :). If not leave and find another store.

Oh and WELCOME to the Guitar MAD-HOUSE!! :)
The best Guitar Board on the Net.

Dagwood

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The main problem with the packs is the amp. Even one of Behringers' small modelling amps would be better. That said, some people do manage with them. ITo some degree it comes down to personal tolerance.
If I was buying for a friend, I'd givr them a Godin SD and the Vox AD30.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ya, I already have a squier strat pack...I had to return the first one cuz there was some springs in the back that fell out of place and I didn't know what was wrong with it, also....your right about the amps in the starter packs there not that good...cuz I've used a friend of mine's Ibanez amp with a zoom effect pedal which sounded 1000 times better then the one I have....the guitar is ok....but I still would like a new one sometime soon, and no I'm actually a tall person but I'm kinda' skinny but and I work as a caddie at a golf course and I have to carry 2 golf bags around for 4 hours a day so being heavy isn't much of a problem....

And is there anything anyone has found wrong with the rondo guitars at all? cuz man!! I definatly wanna' look into those!!!!! I wish I could find somewhere where I could actually try out the guitars for myself.......oh and thanx for all your help!!

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

and about the Godin guitar thats a little to high on the price, cuz when I said I could go over I meant if like the guitar and the amp cost a little over $300 together, but thanx for the help anyways!

ReplyQuote