Need some barre chord songs for lessons

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@shy_boy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi All!

After trying to learn on my own for about a year and a half, I finally decided to break down and take lessons. After a brief assessment, my instructor dove right into barre chords. This is actually a big weak point for me, so he is on the right track.

He likes to have the student learn from music they actually listen to. I have a verry wide taste in music but as it relates to guitar, I'm not sure what I'm listening to yet.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for songs in standard tuning that would be good for learning barre chords. I don't need the chords themselves; my instructor is great at figuring those out. All I really need is some song names. Anything rock, blues, or country would work. (Don't really listen to too much country though; it's too depressing and people look at me funny when they see me crying in the car, so I just don't listen to it) Old or new doesn't really matter either.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers,
George

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I did a little research for you, here's what I came up with0

Femme Fetale by Velvet Underground
Sugar Magnolia by the Grateful Dead
Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic version)
Creep by Radiohead
Flake by Jack Johnson
Hotel California by The Eagles

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Hotel California seems to be the standard for learning barre chords.

Also, I like "Here Without You" by 3 doors down.

You can take almost any song you already know and convert it to barre chords for practice, once you learn the note names on the fretboard.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Greenday's album American Idiot also has a lot of songs with barre chords in it. I don't know if you listen to that or not, but that is what I used to learn barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member

Hotel California is one that I used to practice barre chords. A few others that I like to play with barre chords are One More Cup of Coffee (Bob Dylan...Am, G, F, E), My My Hey Hey (Neil Young...Am, G, F and C).

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hi All!

After trying to learn on my own for about a year and a half, I finally decided to break down and take lessons. After a brief assessment, my instructor dove right into barre chords. This is actually a big weak point for me, so he is on the right track.

He likes to have the student learn from music they actually listen to. I have a verry wide taste in music but as it relates to guitar, I'm not sure what I'm listening to yet.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for songs in standard tuning that would be good for learning barre chords. I don't need the chords themselves; my instructor is great at figuring those out. All I really need is some song names. Anything rock, blues, or country would work. (Don't really listen to too much country though; it's too depressing and people look at me funny when they see me crying in the car, so I just don't listen to it) Old or new doesn't really matter either.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers,
George

How about Dylan's "Positively 4th Street", for me its almost impossible to do without barre chords. G,C,Cm,D.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Vic Lewis has a lesson on Pinball Wizard here in the ESD: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=22659&highlight=pinball
It at first looks a bit daunting but read through the very detailed explanations and it all comes together. The song is almost entirely barre chords and was very good practice for me.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

All along the Watchtower Am G F G repeat until your ears bleed.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Slid
(@slid)

Gone -by Jack Johnson is all barre chords

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bpJDWNnZ9DA

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Greenday's album American Idiot also has a lot of songs with barre chords in it. I don't know if you listen to that or not, but that is what I used to learn barre chords.

+1000

And any other Greenday song of the past. Don't blame us if you whole hand turns out to be a callous.

Hotel California is great for barre chords. Just a little advanced though. Only thing to remember is - to never give up playing barres. They are funnn.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I did a little research for you, here's what I came up with0

Femme Fetale by Velvet Underground
Sugar Magnolia by the Grateful Dead
Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic version)
Creep by Radiohead
Flake by Jack Johnson
Hotel California by The Eagles
Do you have a tab for Sugar Magnolia please?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

"Lay Lady Lay", Dylan
"Louie, Louie" (A D Em D)
"Wild Thing"

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'll second lay lady lay. i play that whenever i'm feeling particularly masochistic.

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Actually, just about anything by Jack Johnson...

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Vic Lewis has a lesson on Pinball Wizard here in the ESD: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=22659&highlight=pinball
It at first looks a bit daunting but read through the very detailed explanations and it all comes together. The song is almost entirely barre chords and was very good practice for me.
Robbie

I forgot all about that one, "Pinball Wizard" is one of the best for practicing barre chords.
Eric

ReplyQuote