Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Need some help with some soloing technique please.

(@bojack)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to figure out the best way to play a certain kind of riff:
e|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|-----|--9--|-----|--8--|-----|--7--|
|-----|-----|-12--|-----|--11-|-----|-10--|
|--4--|-----|--5--|-----|--6--|-----|-----|
E|--1--|-----|--2--|-----|--3--|-----|-----|

I'm trying to play these notes in order from 1-12. When I play the first 6 notes my pinky ends up on 6 and I'm wondering what's the best way to get to 7. Should I lift my hand and hammer onto that 7 or should I slide my pinky up and fret it with the middle part of my pinky? Or is there a better way to get to it? I'm working on speed and sliding seems the best way but it's a little messy. I want to know what the correct way is now so I won't end up practicing the wrong and/or less effective thing.

I'm also wondering how to play this riff backwards, meaning from 7-12 and then from 1-6. Here, my index finger ends up on 12 and I'd like to know the best way to get to 1. I can only figure out two ways to do this: either I lift my hand and hammer that 1 with my index finger or use my middle finger, cross it over my index, and fret 1 with my middle finger. Which method should I go with or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(@noteboat)
Famed Member

Some patterns require shifts in position, so the key is figuring out how to have the right finger free for the shift.

Try this:

1 - index
2 - middle
3 - pinky
4 - index
5 - middle
6 - ring
7 - pinky
8 - middle
9 - index
10 - pinky
11 - ring
12 - middle
1 - index

It'll be a bit of a stretch in some positions, but you'll have the pinky free for the shift up the neck, and the index free for the shift down.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice! Looks like it's going to be hard to remember to use the ring finger instead of the index when improvising these types of riffs but I guess it's just one more thing to practice...

ReplyQuote