Clear all

Need To Make It Last

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So my 16 year old son comes home from school yesterday and sits behind the electronic drum set and susses out a discernable beat. Hmmmm? So I go in and he's claiming to wanting to learn the drums - again - and is trying to figure out a song by metalicca. This is about a week or so after I told him that I got some "Enter Sandman" tabs and I'm ready to learn it whenever he is. This time it's "For Whom The Bell Tolls". No probs.

So, he offers to play it with me if I learned one of the guitar parts. No problemo. I'm on it. I find the TAB in my GP folder, I gotta tune one of my guitars down a 1/2 step. No problems. Let's see, power chords. No probs. That Metallica THUNK tone? No problem.

Today he comes home, walks over to the drum kit after we exhange pleasantries and does some of it better than yesterday. I offer encouragement and such. He came into my office when he was done and sees and hears my guitar and M-FX generated tone. Digs it all. I managed to learn each part individually except the really super fast single note part. He said I can switch to the other guitar part for that section if I like. What a good boy.

I hope I can get him to keep some sort of interest this time around. We'll see. As long as I stay maybe a half step ahead of him.......... who knows.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That sounds great Roy! Keep encouraging him and you never know. Besides, it will be fun to buy that set of "real" drums when the time comes right? 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That sounds great Roy! Keep encouraging him and you never know. Besides, it will be fun to buy that set of "real" drums when the time comes right? 8)
I think he's digging digital. He can set each pad or dial in an overall tone style. Didn't have any of that going with the accoustic set. My friend who's been over here a couple of times recently to play some bass guitar to my regular guitar checked 'em out too. The speaker we ended up going with has turned into quite the impressive bass amp. Pretty neat.

I've also decided on another possible angle to getting him interested more in music playing. Ask him if any of his friends play and if they want to come "jam" some day or night. I know of one, but he's been ostricized from the "crew" for whatever human rights violation he committed. I don't ask.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I got some cheap digital drums and I like them. A Sams Club special but they are actually built pretty well. I'd have an acoustic set though, but with the pool table and furniture in the cave I've used up my square footage. The digital ones do have a lot of advantages. They use less space.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jbeckforever)

Yeah digital drum kits are way fun. I don't even play drums and I spent a good hour on my friends, going through all the different patches. As for keeping interest, I would recommend you guys don't try anything too fancy, too fast. That's like the biggest reason kids quit instruments, is they get too challenging. If your son tires of Metallica stuff, anything off AC/DC's "Back in Black" album is a blast, and pretty easy to play on drums and guitar, (if your not counting the solos, which could only be considered "intermediate" level) and I think there are a good number of accurate tabs out. In fact, most of that oldschool rock stuff is pretty basic drumming. Van Halen, Genesis, Scorpions, etc. But yeah, AC/DC is probably your best bet at keeping it interesting. Easy songs to play, and even easier to get into and just rock out with.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The digital ones do have a lot of advantages. They use less space.
They are much easier on the ears and can even run into a headphone. Ours is the Simmons, SD7PK http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Simmons-SD7PK-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=581105 We got it straight up in a trade by someone I found on Craig's List. Nothing fancy at all, but fub none-the-less.

Jbeckforever, welcome to GN. I'm going to do my best to ensure that it isn't a pain in the arse for him. I've got quite the arsenal of things here at the house to keep him busy in music if he wants it. Somewear along the line, he's gotta pay the dues though. We'll see.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

I am so jealous about the Digital drums. They have a set at the local guitar er music store and every time I take the kids in they just love playing on them. I thought I had my 7 year old ready to ask his mom if he can take lessons but he hasn't yet. If I suggest it she will know I just want a new toy. Patience is a virtue.

As for keeping them interested I don't know my 11 year old has been taking lessons for almost a year. She definitly does not want me to play anything with her. I even learned a couple of Taylor Swift songs tying to impress her. It seems Ican't. I did find a nice new instructor for her recently though and she seems more into it than ever.

Good luck

ReplyQuote