Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok, let me have it on this one.

I'm looking at these....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/107870

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/142218

I'm looking at the difference in pickups as well as the body and the hardshell case and one extra fret. :roll: Ok, there are some other freebies that might add up to $50 in value. Those are what I see as the differences.

So I take $80 off for the case and roughly $100- $150 for the difference in pickups. Maybe I'm $300 apart. If I decide to buy a case for the standard strat then I'd only be $200 off.

Is it worth it to spend the extra? For cosmetics I love the white on white of the Standard. For the American I'd go with the silver and both with maple necks.

If you also have another suggestion somewhere in between I'm interested in links.

Thanks, all. I know the advice will be indepth and accurate!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@rocker)
Noble Member

remember "you get what you pay for"

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

You might want to check the neck sizes, the American series is a bit wider. There is also the Highway 1 series, but it has it's own peculiarities, thin finish and some issues with neck adjustment.
http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0111700320

I don't know what to say, I'm having similar difficulty. It's been 2 and a half years and I still can't decide on which strat... and as time goes on, I get pickier and pickier.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member

My opinion is get a Mexi strat and replace the pickups...

But if I were you I'd build one with parts from Warmoth.

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i did not reply because i saw that the strats in question were of the variety that had humbuckers.
i had forgotton that they were offering the deluxe with 3 variations that included a humbucker.
i think you would be surprised at the tonal possibilities of the american deluxe line that have the samarian cobalt noiseless pickups and the S-1 switching that allows 10 different combinations of the pickups and a special capacitor.
they are a little more pricey but imho more than worth the differance.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101500720

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511145/

i have the 50th anniversary american deluxe and i am very happy with it

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Personally I'd argue that you need to be pretty good player in order to justify spending that much on a guitar (the expensive one). But then I'm not that good a player. And I'm also tight-fisted when it comes to money. I guess if you are on a nice salary and guitars are one of your top priorities in life (up there with food/accomodation/girlfriend), your skill level needn't figure in the equation.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Just curious, are you planning on buying this from Musicians Friend? It's personal opinion, but I think that if I were spending as much money as the American Strat costs, i'd definately want to pick out the exact guitar that i'd be getting. AS far as the mexican one goes, i'd want to play it, just because I have heard of people buying mexican fenders, and getting lemons.

Twisted Lefty: I recently played one of those 50th anniversary strats, and they really are awesome!

Martin-6: Even though I love playing the expensive guitars, I guess I really agree with you as far as buying them goes...

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Personally I'd argue that you need to be pretty good player in order to justify spending that much on a guitar (the expensive one). But then I'm not that good a player. And I'm also tight-fisted when it comes to money. I guess if you are on a nice salary and guitars are one of your top priorities in life (up there with food/accomodation/girlfriend), your skill level needn't figure in the equation.

I don't know what to think about that, some of it's priorities, for the amount my uncle spends on alcohjol in a year, I could buy the American. I've seen plenty of people with expensive cars, who can't drive, and for the most part no one says a poor driver should have a cheap car. And a truly great instrument can be an incentive to practice. Buy I do see your point as well.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Personally I'd argue that you need to be pretty good player in order to justify spending that much on a guitar.

we all have different priorities. i'm going to be 48 this summer and up to just a few years ago was never able to afford an expensive guitar. i really don't think how well you play has anything to do with it.

xg5a~ i'm fortunate enough to live within short driving distance of MF so getting a good one was not an issue, however i did run into problems with a slight cosmetic anomally. it seems some idiot on the gold plating production line managed to leave thumbprints on all the neckplates and input ferrals(sp?)
other than that they were ALL set up perfect imo and the craftsmanship throughout was superb.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, let's see...where do I start?

Thank you all for the opinions posted. I appreciate the time you spent reading and responding. Your knowledge and experience are paramount to my future decision making.

As far as the money...I'm almost 50. I've been budgeting my whole life. The kids have moved out. I gig on the weekends with drums. I've figured out how to really utilize my free time and lately it's been spent passioning over guitar and it's aura. Since I'm a musican at heart and will hopefully die on stage (but only after that last encore :wink: :wink: ) I pour everything I have into anything I attempt.

I'm worth every penny I spend on myself as are all of you. If I'm going to invest $500 on any guitar, that may be a good value. I'm learning as I go and asking every question I can think of. But what do I get for $500? If I double it do I get my investment or at least close proximaty to my perceived value? Those of you that own them would know. Other's that have tried them would know. I am trying them and to me (who doesn't know) I have to trust someone because I don't really know.

As far as being a good enough player to buy an expensive guitar, that's rather subjective. It's a very valid argument and I'm certainly not buying guitars based on my abilities at this time or I'd be using a little plastic 6" replica with 3 rubberbands attached? (anyone remember those, by the way...lol)

I plan on growing into my guitars. I'll never stop learning or never be good enough to think such a thing that now I'm so good I can buy this expensive guitar. No, mostly my goal is to buy one that will serve me well and I only want to buy one once. (well maybe. :oops: :lol: )

I also have to say that every piece of musical equipment that I've purchased from MF has come better than expected. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them. I bought my Schecter from MF and it was setup and ready to play. I have yet to luthier it at all. Plus, if there is a problem my local shop can take care of it so I don't worry. I've been buying from my local shop for 30 years. My only issue with the local shops is that you buy what they have. It's been on display and it's usually been played by half the towns musicians before hand. If they order one in, you haven't played it yet anyhow so you can't be sure it's right either. Pros and cons both ways. To each his own....(is it gassy in here or is it just me?)

Twisted, I appreciate your input too. I was at my local shop after work tonight to try and get a grasp on the models and what they offer me. I think that roller nut model it awesome. I did look at that. I played everything from the $370 Mex to the one you showed me. I really think I want a maple fretboard and my salesman was implying that if I want the true Strat sound I should not go with the Fat model. I guess I agree. So now I'm back to looking at the 3 single coil models.

This is so confusing. More later I hope.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I love my Strat

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I totally understand your quandry.
Even after i made the decision to pull the trigger on a Strat purchase i agonised for a month over what model,color,neck,etc,etc. it was actually a pretty disturbing process.
I've always considered myself a "straight thru", "cut to the chase" kinda guy but it almost drove me nutz. i must have changed my mind a dozen times inside of the last few days before i finally bought the guitar. i know i played at least 10 different strats, and read at least 50-100 reviews.
when i finally narrowed it down it was between the players deluxe MiM, and the american deluxe ash. Even tho over $500 seperated the two they were the ones that "felt best" to me.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/content/doc_id=97985
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511143/

Oddly enough, i just happened to see another customer playing the 50th anniversary deluxe and i asked to see one also. after playing it i fell in love and i never even felt a bit of "buyers remorse".

All i can say is if you are serious about wanting a Strat, buy the best one you can afford that speaks to you.
i truly doubt you'll regret it. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

Maybe I'm a moron buy i dont see what people see in Strats they are boring. Maybe i just hate the Squier i usta play. I dunno

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@mhill54)
Eminent Member

Wow the three color sunburst on the that players choice strat is beautiful. It made me decide on my next guitar, its wonderful.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Remember hey..if you are looking for a humbucking sound...take a serious look at rondo's agiles...(no i am not being commissioned by rondo or mikespe)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4