Clear all

Neil Young, Ohio

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I have to pick a song for history class, one that depicts a historic moment. I want to do Ohio, by Neil Young, but I need some information on the actual events. Can someone explain them to me?
Thanks
Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@markminni)
Eminent Member

It happened at kent State in Ohio, On May 4th 1970. Students were protesting, National Gaurd was called in, several people were wounded and 4 died. There are several opinions of what happend, do a search for Kent State& may 4 1970, you'll find plenty.
Here is one link:
http://dept.kent.edu/may4/chrono.htm

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And as an Ohioan who lived through that time, all I can tell you is Young's song still sends chills down my spine. He got it just right with that tune.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Not to get political, since I was only 9 at the time and consider this a very sad event, especially since bullets were fired at a group of students (amazing only 4 were killed).

But I never understood why people that protest war will turn to violence to make their point. Throwing rocks and bottles at police that are just doing their job.

Kinda what our government does which protestors claim not to like.

I don't know. Still a very sad chapter in our history.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Thats on my birthday. May 4th. Cool eh? Except im 88 and that was 70.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Not to get political, since I was only 9 at the time and consider this a very sad event, especially since bullets were fired at a group of students (amazing only 4 were killed).

But I never understood why people that protest war will turn to violence to make their point. Throwing rocks and bottles at police that are just doing their job.

Kinda what our government does which protestors claim not to like.

I don't know. Still a very sad chapter in our history.
I have a feeling if people knew why bad things wouldnt happen. If anything good ever comes from that incident...which nothing does....at least you get to spread the word through your music.

Craft and awareness combined. Its a good thing from a really bad one.

Kido

ReplyQuote