Neoclassical artists/bands

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I like the neoclassical sound. But I wanna play somthing other than Ygnwie Malmsteen. Sure you here the odd bit from guitarists like Rhoads, in the song 'revelation mother earther' but I'm talking proper neoclassical artists...
Anyone know any good ones to check out?

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

lol. Surely someone knows something!?! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

maybe if you type neoclassical artists into google, you'll find something

as for me, I dont know any other than malmsteen

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

You could learn some Bach on guitar, since that's basically where it all started.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

There isnt really an artist (bar Yngwie) who will be what your looking for (that i know of)

Because everyone likes to have a varied style and that mightnt attrack you, but Yngwie is the only one who i know who is set in stone what he wants to play and thats that style of neoclassical playing...

But im the same as you, i want other neoclassical things, so i write them, like..

try learning Paganini's 9th, when i tabbed it out and altered a few, there is some very tricky solo parts of moving fingers rapidly all over the place..

then where you feel it getting dull, throw a heavy riff in and mix it all up..

You might find out you like writing and actually be the alternative to Yngwie sometime in the future.

The closest to what your looking for i think, is Vinnie Moore.

try listening to "The Thinking Machine" and especially "The Maze", you will like it.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

hmmm glad i read the whole post before saying R. Rhoads (although the instrumental, D or Dee, is a great classical acoustic piece). I agree learn some J.S. Bach on the guitar. Toccatta and fugue is a fun one :D

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

try learning Paganini's 9th, when i tabbed it out and altered a few, there is some very tricky solo parts of moving fingers rapidly all over the place.
That's a kind of a funny choice. It doesn't really sound neoclassical (unless I miscounted -- my music doesn't label the caprices). A good tune though.

ReplyQuote
(@crandles)
Trusted Member

joe stump is another neo-classical player besides malmsteeen

http://www.joestump.com

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have found another neoclassic (well ish...) band - Cacophony. Its basically Jason Becker and Marty Friedman playing ridiculously technical playing for the hell of it :D .
The cool thing about it is (apart from how a incredible a team they were. Playing alternatly, together or in harmonies, shred or melodicaly) is that Becker brings a neoclassical sound into it and Friedman brings his exotic playing style in...Its pretty cool.
The songs to check out are probably Concerto, Ninja, Images and Go Off if your interested

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Paul Gilbert

I am pretty sure he would be considered neoclassical. Not really that knowledgable about this guy but I have seen instructional videos of his where he plays some wild stuff. He was in the band Racer X in the 80s, I think, but I think you would want to check out his solo work.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote