Netflix

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
sdolsay
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was just browsing thru they're site, I typed "guitar" in the search engine and almost 200 hits came back....the first 2 pages were all "guitar method in the style of ---" dvd's.

Might be a good way to browse these dvd's before buying them.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Presbystrat
(@presbystrat)
Eminent Member

I've tried some of the guitar instructional dvd's from both netflix and blockbuster. Some were very helpful and some were worthless. Some of them really needed the book to go along with the DVD. But I think it would help to rent the DVD before you decide to buy.

ReplyQuote
TwistedLefty
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

wow, great thread , thanks for the info.
i have been thinking about trying out netflix as i am a movie junky, but i never thought they had instructional dvds.
if you could make a list of the ones to try vs the ones that were a waste of time it would probably save some of us a lot of time and money.
lets use this thread or get it moved to where we can post revues of instructional dvds and such

#4491....

ReplyQuote
vanzant38
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Howdy,

I'm a member of Netflix. I put all of these guitar dvds into my Rental page(called Queue). Anyway the first one was Metallica. It was terrible. THis guy didn't explain much. Didn't say what song the riff was from. One time he says in this next riff there are this and this and this effect being used but I am not gonna go offset and change my set up for that. So just use your imagination. I stopped the DVD and said imagination. This is a DVD not a book. If he has the equiptment, the know how and has it right there, and he is putting it on video at that moment. WHy in the world wouldn't he put the right EFX on the riff????? I cancelled the rest of that series of DVDs. I do have the Boston Video Tape of the same guy, and he is better but still kinda boring. THere are a few other guitar DVDs on Netflix. I haven't gotten to them yet.

I'm guessing the reason the song title isn't mentioned is that he would be sued by the RIAA. The most trusted name in Music.

Side note. I have a SRV DVD coming this week. Looking forward to that.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
sdolsay
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have the RockHouse Beginning Electric guitar dvd, there is a lot of stuff on it, he really shows you a lot of fret hand coord and strength exercises as well as picking exercises.

He also has some basic rock/blues rhythms, enen gets into basic leads and hammer on/pull off/bending basics, pretty good dvd.

Vanzant, I have the srv signature licks series, good stuff, but way over my head at this time, the guy who does them is very good and way funny :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
Geek in the Pink
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

Side note. I have a SRV DVD coming this week. Looking forward to that.

The SRV one is a good one.
I typed "guitar" in on blockbuster. :twisted: I think the AC/DC signiture licks are just what the rock gods ordered.

-Alex

ReplyQuote
Presbystrat
(@presbystrat)
Eminent Member

Out of about 10 dvds I rented, there were three that I found useful from Blockbuster Online. I was able to learn several songs from The Best of Lennon & McCartney for Electric Guitar and The Best of Lennon & McCartney for Acoustic Guitar. Both were very good for the intermediate player. I also got Kid's Guitar for my 7 year old which was excellent for someone of his age.

ReplyQuote
muddy
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

ui ahve not delved into the instructional vids from netflix.. but i and loving the documentaries, howlin wolf, muddy waters, john lee hooker,, son house etc.. also genghis blues with paul pena is awsome...

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
Daniel Lioneye
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I think i'll have to get "Guitar for Dummies".

I added 12 of them to my queue list, and hopefully i can learn a lot from the "In the style of" Clapton and Hendrix ones.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote