Clear all

New 12-String

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I picked up a lightly used Yamaha FG720s-12 today for a fairly decent price. I got the guitar (new is $329) and a gig bag (new is $39) for $150. It's no Taylor, Martin or Breedlove. However, it ain't a bad guitar at all. I need to lower the action a tad. Doubt I'll do it though. The only thing I know how to do on an accoustic is truss rod. Maybe that's all it needs?

I bought this as an entry into 12-strings and will probably flip it later for money "invested". He claims to have just put a set of strings on it, Martins he said. Might be true. They are really clean and have that tinny sound still.

It needs some freshening up. It must have been sitting next to his ash-tray for the last 8 months. (Febreeze, I guess?) I smoked for 24 years, but most of that was outside.

The pic, along with the guard cat:

I'll post some sound-bites in a week or so. Gotta get used to a 12-string first. I'm sensing a difference is needed for the feel thing. Still, it sounds pretty decent, and very good for the price.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

David's got some good 12-string advice on the lessons page. I've got an electric 12-string, and I really enjoy it. Congrats on the new addition! 8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh, Mr Parker, you're giving me GAS again! I actually had a 12-er about three years ago, but I never got used to it - although at that time, my guitar playing as a whole wasn't up to much, to be honest. Just lately the mind's been wandering in the direction of 12's again....

Let us know how you get on!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I find the cat more attractive...Looks like two executives are relaxing on that chair !

Congrats on the new 12ver. It really looks nice.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice 12-string Ray!

Some of my friends disagree but I like very much the feeling of the Yamaha's neck, they are very smooth and comfortable to my hand.

Congrats! 8)

And don't forget the sound clips!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I need to lower the action a tad. Doubt I'll do it though.
Yeah, right. I made it about 15 minutes. Loosened the strings, tightened truss rod about 1/2 turn or so and tuned it back up. Nice difference. I'll do the same tomorrow after it's had a day to settle. So far, so good though.

I saw David's article just yesterday, I think. Read it again this afternoon. It surely is a different animal.

One early comment I'll make is that this thing is L-O-U-D.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Congratulations Roy. You sure move fast when you get the chance.

Good looking and sounding guitar the FG720-12. They're owned by some fine and discerning musicians.......... and me. :mrgreen:

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice guitar Roy! Thats one thing I have never gassed for ..... hmmmm :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Nice guitar Roy! :D I never got the feel for a 12 string so thats why I sold mine.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Aye, it took me quite a bit of getting used to... it was the feeling of fretting that did it for me - it doesn't feel to me like I'm pressing on strings, more like I'm pressing on a spring-loaded lever or piano key (dunno about that analogy, it's hard to explain :)). I'm still not too good at making sure I hit both strings in a pair when I'm picking, there's lots of songs that I can't adapt to it satisfactorily and I still can't find a capo that's strong enough...

But, it is worth every "wha??" moment ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice Cat ! :D The guitar isn't too bad either! :wink: :P :lol:

Congrats & enjoy! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats Roy!!
Slap some new stringson that puppy and I betcha it'll sound great. Gotta have to post some sound bites bro!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone!

I could only play her for a couple minutes today. (Bad ear day...it's loud) It stayed in tune from yesterday pretty decently. A smidgeon flat. I could not really tell without the meter though. Not used to that whole jingle-jangle thing. I'm delaying my second truss-rod twist until tomorrow.

The smoke smell seems to be gone. I'm about to run the gig bag through the wash again, though. (When did I become so anal????)

That cat is a trip. We got her off of the Wake County death row and it took a month for her to be healthy enough to get neutered. Towards the end, her combustive "in heat" cycles drove us up a wall. 24/7 with a non-stop purrrr-meow. Funny when you look back.....

Blueline: I think the strings are decent, and might actually be new as claimed. They still have that new sound to them. I'll give it a week or two. What gauge do you use, btw?

misanthrope: Yes, it is a different beast. I can tell early on that it's going to take a lot of learning what can and can't be done.

Crkt: I remember that. Back around Christmas time. They are pretty sounding, but a different experience. I'm still not sure where mine is going to fit in. Still lots more playing to be done.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm not sure what gauge is on the guitar right now. It still has the same strings on since I purchased it. But they threw in a set of D'Addario Lights (.010- .047) when I bought it, so I'll have to see how they work out.
I'm still tyrying to get used to the wider neck. I can feel the differnece when I play the 12. Not that its a big problem, I just have to be more conscience of chord changes.

Hope you really enjoy the guitar. Its a buet!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote