Clear all

New Acoustic

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I've been thinking about getting a new acoustic for some time now. I currently have an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry, its nice but I'm looking for something more. I want a guitar that sounds nice for finger picking as that is alot of what I do. I was wondering if I should get an acoustic/electric or not, in the run of a year, I do about 10-15 acoustic preformances, but that will probably become lower after I go to universisty. The selection around here isn't overly great and acoustic/electrics are quite expensive. So my question is Would a soundhole pickup or similar product work well?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

I like the Acoustic/Electrics cause you can adjust the Brilliance, treble, bass and volume.
Fender makes some really good, yet really cheap acoustic electrics, check it out.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I just picked up an Alvarez RD20SC electric acoustic. It was reasonably priced and I really like the sound. Alvarez makes good reasonably priced acoustics. We're doing a concert in January and I took the opportunity to get an acoustic with a cutaway and better action than my other acoustic. I was wrestling with the issue of soundhole pickup or electric acoustic too. One of the other guitarists uses a soundhole pickup and it sounds great too. Let me see, does this ramble have a moral? Oh yeah, I'd buy an electric acoustic if you're otherwise looking to get a new acoustic. If not, try the soundhole pickup. If you're not satisfied with the sound, you're not out a lot of money. I think you can get a decent soundhole pickup in a range from $65 to $90. That's less expensive than a guitar. But if you're really out for a new guitar, a soundhole pick up won't satisfy the craving. (Myself, I wanted a new guitar.)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Would an aftermarket internal mic setup be of any use. I've seen them around, but I have no experience with them so I can't comment on them.

Just a thought.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mic heh, anyone know what Narn is talking about, sounds cool.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Are you talking about the pickups that fit into the sound hole?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

No. I'm referring to a small mic/preamp combination unit (battery powered) that fits inside the guitar. Hookup to a amp is via a jack that replaces the end pin, and can be used to hold the strap. The brand I saw was call Accu-Stic, but I'm sure there are more.

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data3/SoundChecker/Accu_stic-01.html

This is not an endorsement, just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

You could try a soundhole pickup. As Musenfreund said "If you're not satisfied with the sound, you're not out a lot of money" That's just what I did with my Seagull, and then ran it through my Line 6 120 w Spider2 2/10s amp. (not an accoustic amp, I prefere electric, but some very interesting sounds). Not the best pickup, but it works for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3761811648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Jim

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Okay, I ordered one of those Accu-Stic thingys to try out. When I install it I'll let you know what it sounds like. I should know better to even look at a picture of a new gadget. Don't tell my wife anyone.

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

I have a Lowden O10 fitted with a fishman rare earth humbucker, it is a fantastic pup and faithfully reproduces the acoustic sound of the guitar, it cost me £150 and requires no cutting of the guitar body to install. I have never used an internally mounted mic but ive heard that they can cause feedback whilst playing live.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Narn

Your wife and i rarely discuss guitar
:wink:

Matt

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Well Matt, at least she's being consistent with everyone! :o

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Narn

Ha ha, we all suffer from that!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I have had the feedback problem with soundhole pickups. I have a Dean Markley promag, and last time I played my friend and I were dueting into the same mic (they only had one for us to use) and as I leaned in to sing with her the amp started squealing. Not fun. So I had to do some contortionist thing where my head still faced her ,but the guitar swung around the other side of my body. I looked ridiculous and it's really hard to play when you're contorted like that. That's just a funny sidenote, but I' am looking to replacing that pickup with a better system.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote