Clear all

New Carvin Carved Top

18 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, well I've sold off most of my guitars and have been concentrating on only keeping 2 or 3 high-quality guitars. I have my orange Strat deluxe (which kicks major tail) but I was looking for one or two pro-level instruments to finish out the harem. I stumbled across this puppy recently and I couldn't pass it up.

It is a Carvin CT3 California Carved Top in greenburst. I've always wanted to play one since they look just like a PRS but cost $1500 or less NEW. You can get used ones for under a grand. Well, this guitar is awesome. The first thing I noticed was the balance. It isn't overly heavy, but it feels very substantial and it just balances perfectly. I've had a few Les Pauls and a Hamer or two - and they just don't balance right (especially when sitting down). Plus, they are very heavy. This guitar kinda feels like a big Strat... it's really tight.

It is tough to make out in the pictures, but it has an ebony fretboard and abalone dots. The abalone dot markers are pretty cool looking, and actually match up nicely with the greenburst. The ebony board definitely gives the guitar a darker tone.

I'm not sure about the humbuckers yet... everyone I talk to (and read on the net) says that you should swap them out for some Gibsons or DiMarzios... these sound ok, but a little muddy. I was thinking about a zebra set of Burstbuckers or 500/496, but I'm going to play these humbuckers for a while and see if I like them.

So, any other Carvin Carved Top owners out there??

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that's a really nice looking guitar

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats a nice guitar! I like the green. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Very nice!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Carvins have a great rep. Nice guitar. 8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! Looks like a fantastic axe. Love the green and black.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

That green is sweet. I just got Carvin's catalog in the mail a couple weeks ago. Saw their ad in Guitar World and the guitars looked so gorgeous in the ad (I'm sure they are Photoshopped). Very nice looking guitar, congrats!

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Absolutely love the color. Congrats on the new guitar. Please post some sound clips!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Congratulations! Very cool guitar indeed ..

And, welcome to the club :-) I am the proud owner of a CT6-M, also in green-burst. I will add a pointer to the pictures I had put on the net, I have to go find the link. I really love my CT6, and I would not change the pickups -- I got one of the "holdsworth" pickups in the neck and the regular one in the bridge, and I think they sound great. They are not overly bright, but that's what I expected.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Cool guitar! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Oo that's beautiful, Dali. Now you have to let us hear it. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Sweet guitar Dali! :D

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice! Love the color! :mrgreen:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2