Notifications
Clear all

New Electric for my son

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@browns219)
Topic starter  

I am going to buy my 9 year old son a guitar for his birthday. He wants an electric because that is what I play. I am looking for something cheap because I'm concerned that he won't stick with it. I am also going to get him lessons right away. I was thinking of one of the Squier starter paks for about $100. Any comments or reccomendations?

(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

i say the pack also........... My dad was pissed when my bro dropped it after paying like so much for the guitar and amp etc so ya i would stick with the lil beginners pack

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Browns, squire packs sound good

But more importantly, be careful with the lessons. Make sure that the instructor is fun, because if the guitar isn't shown to him as being something fun, and just scales and chords, he won't stick with it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Squire packs good cos its not too expensive, incase he doesnt stick with it.

Although does it have a 10watt or 15 watt amp? If its 10 i'd seriously reccomend a cheap 15 watt one, the quality on 10s is really poor and could totally discourage any begginers - Maybe get a Fender Frontman 15 amp for about £75

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'm against the squire packs. If you buy your child a toy, don't expect him to take it up as a life long hobby. Go the extra step and buy something that could be actually considered a musical instrument. Plus, the cheaper you go, the less potential you have for resale value.

Buy him a $200+ guitar and let him use one of your amps. It's frustrating enough to be a new musician, guitars with poor fretwork and buzzing amps don't help.Get an instrument that is simple, but will facilitate his growth as a musician.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@browns219)
Topic starter  

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I have until Nov. 29th, so I am going to stop into some shops and look around. I will definitely take him with me when I buy it so that he has some say. Hopefully, it will be fun and something that we can use to spend time together.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Actually, to build upon what undercat said; try to buy it used. You could probably get a Mexican Strat or Tele and save some more money. And because it's used you'ed probably be able to recoup nearly most if not all of your investment minus strings, picks, ect. That way he'ed have a decent instrument and could use one of your amps if you've got a spare.

If he decides it's not his jive you can sell it for around the same price.

Of course, always look around at other stuff, too.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Good call, Metaellihead, I think this is the first time when discussing guitar purchasing that I haven't mentioned used... and... CAUGHT! :lol:

Used is great. Well made guitars don't deteriorate over time (they sound better if anything) so I find that buying used is often amazing. 100% of the product, 50% of the price.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

Buy him the guitar of your dreams... Then, if he doesn't stick with it, YOU GET THE GUITAR OF YOUR DREAMS!!!

:D

Honesty, I'd look for a used MIM Fender.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to say something dangerous: Make sure he likes the looks of the guitar. At this age fun is the most important part, so the looks are not to be underestimated here. And as said before, try to find a teacher that emphasises the 'fun'factor of guitar playing.

As far as quality, a standard $150-200 strat copy would do, and used MIMs can sometimes be had for that ammount. Simply very nice instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I'm not sure about this but becuase he's oly 9, maybe get him a $99 Jr. Strat, it's cheap and would fit him better. If not, definelty go for the $200 Strat pack

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I wouldn't really call the squire packs toys...

I used one for a year and a half before i got my les paul, and I miss it sometimes still. It worked fine, sounded decent with 10's on it..Had good action... Wasn't a bad guitar.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

My grandson has been hooked on the guitar since he was two. For the last 6 or 7 months, he and I have been taking lessons together. He'll be turning 8 in about a week, so I bought him a Jr Strat for his birthday. I made the choice mainly because of the size, as a full-size guitar is still a bit heavy for him and the reach is just too much.

After setting the Jr Strat up, me and our instructor both feel this was a good buy. It's a good size guitar for his hands and the I'm happy with the quality.

I've been playing it myself for a couple of days. Of course, I wanted to make sure it was good enough to give him. :roll: I'm sure he's going to love it. Can't wait for his birthday.

I will be restringing it with heavier strings than those it came with. With the lesser tension on the strings, the lighter strings have a bit too much play. Not so much that the guitar isn't playable, but it would annoy me so it'll probably annoy him.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote