Clear all

New gear

29 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In the "never ending search for that perfect tone" as Joe Forrok Star says, I have bought yet another guitar and pedal.

I recently picked up the Faded SG Special:

Gibson Faded SG Special

While I love my Fender guitars and amps, at heart I have always loved that "British" tone of the late 60s and early 70s best. I love the Gibson warm tone of a LP or SG through a Marshall amp. My favorite type tones are that Marshall crunch similar to old Bad Company recordings, Cream, Led Zep, Foghat, Free...

I really love the tone of this SG, sounds great clean or distorted. I especially like the tone of the neck pickup. I have always found neck pickups to be slightly muddy, missing that edge. Even my LP is a little muddy through the neck pickup. But not this SG. It is a warm, almost acoustic guitar type tone with jangle. Sorry, that is the only way I can describe it. It even sounds tight with distortion. I like to hear every string. I don't really go for high gain distortion where you cannot hear the individual strings. Man, it has to have some bite!

This is the tone I'm talkin' about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIW5fYQmg8

Anyway, to each his own, but that's the kind of tone I love.

I also picked up the Marshall GuvNor pedal.

Marshall GV-2

If you want your Fender (or any other) amp to sound like a Marshall, this pedal will do it. I have been using this through my Hot Rod Deluxe and I am gettin' the tone. Awesome. Now, I own a Marshall, and it will get this tone all by itself, but the amp is a little untrustworthy. So I need something to get Marshall tone out of my Fender. And really, it's great because I'm getting the Fender clean and Marshall overdrive. Pretty nice.

Anyway, no big deal, just something to chat about.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

hi wes! i noticed you been hiding lately! nice new guitar you have there.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hi wes! i noticed you been hiding lately! nice new guitar you have there.

Not hiding, just working lots and lots of overtime. The upside is I can buy things I like, the downside is I have no time to play them. :D

I got the faded brown, it is really pretty nice. The only thing I have found is that two of the frets are not seated perfectly at the 15th and 17th frets on the bass side of the neck. I didn't notice this for several days. No problems like fret buzz or anything like that, but you can see the tang (I believe that's what it's called) is not seated all the way to the bottom of the slot. But other than that a great tone. It's a little brighter than an LP which I like, but still has the warm Gibson tone. I like the shorter scale as well. Stays in tune pretty good. It really sounds great through the GuvNor pedal into my Fender, this will probably be my main guitar for awhile.

But that always changes. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Wes, congrats on the new gear!

I have become a SG guy myself, so I know exactly what you speak of. :) Enjoy!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

DUDE! You'll have to wail a few Frank Marino tunes with that.

OK, now tell all, is the neck/fretboard hard to get used to when you're used to strats? Is the neck all shiny and grabby or is it more of a satin or natural finish? How's the sustain?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, now tell all, is the neck/fretboard hard to get used to when you're used to strats? Is the neck all shiny and grabby or is it more of a satin or natural finish? How's the sustain?

I like the neck fine myself. But I like the shorter scale of LPs and SGs over the longer scale of a Strat mostly because I do not have large hands. The scale fits me better. I like the "spongy" feel of the short scale as well. But that is just me.

The neck is not shiny or slick at all, just a natural satin finish. I have no problems with this either. But I have pretty dry hands, so my hands rarely stick to any neck. But others might have a problem with it I guess.

I do find it much easier to play high on the neck compared to my LP. I think it might be a little easier than my Strat or Tele for playing high as well.

But the tone is what I really like. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Wes, I'm realy glad you have managed to get the tone you have been searching for. As for me I am trying to get my Strat to sound like John Mayers as it does on the track "Gravity" found on the CD "Continuum". You can hear it here http://www.johnmayer.com/

Man that is such a sweet tone.
Aparently his signature strat has special "big dipper" pickups and I'm pretty sure he plays through a Bluesbreaker amp, so I don't really hold out much hope of getting it exactly right but somewhere near would be nice !

Congrats on your latest aquasition,

Rod :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nice new gear, Wes. I played through a Guv'nor through a Blues Junior at GC the other day while my friend was playing Marshall's Echohead. Both sounded great.

Have fun!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new gear Wes. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

OK, I give up!! I finally caught on that the quest for tone is endless, a black hole, a money pit. I no sooner get most of the stuff that you advise and then you go and get NEW STUFF. Sounds cool enjoy!!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Wes,

Have you tried that Marshall pedal through the EVJ?

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats on the new gear.

Like the SG a lot and if you got it for the price in the link you posted you got a prety good deal there.

Enjoy your new tone.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Wes,

Oh Yeah! You're really going to enjoy the SG I'm sure.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Congrats Wes
Was thinking of getting an SG myself (It'd have to be an Epi or Tokai though) after seeing a vid of Skynyrd doing Freebird with 2 SGs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHxXAoGz80

Also fancy a Firebird too :lol:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Congratulations, Wes! Now, stop working so hard for a couple of weeks so that you can play your new guitar! That pedal looks very interesting ..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2