Clear all

New Gretsch..what was I thinking?!

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I wandered into the local Guiter Center, intending to look at, and possibly pick up a Blues Jr. as an early Christmas present for myself.

2 1/2 hours later, I'm walking out with a new Gretsch 5120, black.

Now, a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar was at the top of my list, and I admint I like Marty Stewart, and Dwight Yoakem now and then. But I'm really not a Rockabilly, or bluegrass player! Jazz, blues, classic rock, sure.

It did feel awfully good in my hands though. :)

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Very cool. Enjoy! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! How about a pic? :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey, if it feels good in your hands ......... 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find my digital camera.

I don't know if I'm keeping it yet.

I tried a bunch of different guitars last night. It started as putting the Blues Jr. through it's paces. But ended up as testing the guitars. I tried the Ibanez, and Epiphones, and finally the Gretsch. Looks notwithstanding, it seemed to fit better than the others. Perfect size neck for my hands, and the notes seemed to pop out all on their own. Through that Jr, I was still getting some nice bluesy tones. I had thought of these guitars as pure twangy, but I guess I was wrong! The only other thing I liked last night was a Gibson Les Paul...a bit out of my price range :)

Of course, I got it home, and the missus made a little face, and said "Um...it's a little....um....country..."

I think I'll give it a week or two before finally deciding. I think it will depend on the tonal range.

Of course....now I still need a new amp! I spent the amp money on this guitar. :roll:

Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It ain't just country; it's what you make it -- rock, blues, jazz, rockabilly and -- yes -- even country and swing. If it feels and sounds good, then it's the right one for you. A little perspective: Telecaster was designed for country. Strat was designed by Leo with the help of noted country musicians. The LP was not designed with rock in mind. These guitars were all adopted by players in many other genres and styles, even though C&W was the intended "big market" for each.

(BTW, anyone know a jazzer who actually plays a Jazzmaster?)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I was looking for a used Strat at Guitar Center last week and almost walked out with the 5120 in black. That guitar rocks! It's anything but twangy! The only reason I didn't buy it was because I already have a guitar with humbuckers. If I ever decide to get rid of it, I'll replace it with a Gretsch.

Learn some REVEREND HORTON HEAT man!!!!
http://www.bigdwarfrodeo.com/
"400 Bucks" is a kickin song and it's real easy!

I was at the Boston show on Saturday.

"when I put that pedal down, it'll jerk your head back good"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Want one........................

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Thought you were holding out for the White Falcon... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

The guy in my avatar is playing a Gretsch Country Club, and I wouldn't exactly call him country.

Also have to say I love the RHH. What a great live show!

ReplyQuote
(@rickyb)
Eminent Member

Sweet. I was trying out a Gretsch at our local guitar shop, and made up my mind that i will be buying the G5120 Electromatic. I can`t afford a really expensive one, but when i tried this one out, it felt so good i did not want to let it go.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Thought you were holding out for the White Falcon... :wink:

Peace

I know, but holding out just makes me want one so much more...

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the words of support guys!

I talked to a friend at work whos opinion I highly value about the new guitar. (He actually toured with Stevie Wonder back in the day, and I think is on one album).

He was like "No way man! That's a good guitar you've got there. Jazz, blues, whatever...I'm playin' a Emperor Regent now, so go for it. "

So I got home tonight and headed for my new baby...my wife says "Hey there Waylan.."

I sat down, and taught myself "Wonderful Tonight" from the easy tabs here. 30 minutes later, she comes in and says "Wow, that was pretty nice!"

Yup....I still like it. I'll just be careful not to wear all black to church! LOL.
...now to find a better amp!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Congrats man. I love the look of the Gretsch guitars. Enjoy it!!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Just keep it and love it. I can make a pretty good heavy doom metal sound with my Ibanez Artcore hollowbody. Depends on what you have your amp set to and any pedals thrown in the mix. Watch out for feedback when turning up the gain. But controlled feedback can be fun too.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2