Clear all

New guitar :)

26 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yup, I couldn't help myself. It's not that I have GAS or anything but I just figured that I might as well spend it for maybe inflation could suddenly rise, which wouldn't depreciate the guitar as much the money. It's a Japanese (I think) guyatone, presumely from the mid sixties. It comes with one pup, one volume knob, one not-functioning tone-knob and a vibrato bridge of sorts. I'm not yet sure if this is made of wood cleverly disguised as plastic or plastic poorly disguised as wood but I *love* how it sounds. It's 3/4 which felt kinda weird at first, almost like when I first picked up a ukelele. The tuners definitely are 'vintage' and so is the noise, but hey, it's bound to have some mojo, somewhere, somehow. Surprisingly, it's action is lower then on my Ibanez RG550, this might actually be a great axe for a shredder.

Quick demo clip

(@itchard)
Trusted Member

Nice find, thats a sweet looking axe.

The sound is really good as well.

Where did you find it, and for how much?

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

beautiful in its simplicity

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

That's a really unique guitar, as well I've never seen a guitar with only one pickup in the neck position and nothing in the bridge.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The pickup and bridge look suspiciously similar to my Kay - there's definately a theme between manufacturers if nothing else. Have you stuck the model number into Google? I found quite a bit of info on mine that way (all long since disappeared :()

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Too cool. You might have something there. Any pictures of the back side?

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I payed 45,- Euro for it, got it from a collector on a dutch guitar site. Some other forum member who turned out to live a block away actually went over and got it from him as I couldn't go myself. I never met him before, too cool of him. I don't know it's srial number of model type. :( There doesn't seem to be a whole info on Guyatone anyway. Which, again, I think it is because it doesn't say so either.

Sorry, I can't take any pics, these were made by him prior to the sale.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Shame about the model number. IIRC, mine's on a sticker so I suppose I'm quite lucky it's still there :wink:

Having had a little poke around on ebay for images, it seems Guyatone, Kay and Teisco are all very closely related. Lots of common elements between the three. I'll do you some images of mine when I get home.

Congrats, BTW, if you like it as much as I like mine you're laughing :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Nice! I love the chrome pickguard.

I had a Guyatone way back when - used, from a friend - which looked like a 3/4 Jazzmaster.

--Sort of.

The rest of it disappeared, but I used the neck on a homebuilt guitar which I still have. Straight as an arrow that thing is, and...it's sorta nice to have a piece of wood that old.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Looks & sounds killer! Great find! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

It's not that I have GAS or anything but I just figured that I might as well spend it for maybe inflation could suddenly rise, which wouldn't depreciate the guitar as much the money.

:mrgreen: I'll have to try that one on Mrs Chuckster. :lol:

Nice looking guitar though. Nice find.

Congrats and enjoy.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Looks great, real nice guitar, nice sound.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Missed the link to the sound clip first time round.

Sounds great.

Enjoy.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks people :D I did quick second recording, with a backing. http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=31307

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I did a google search, but found no guitars. Guyatone is an effect maker now, apparently.
I believe I read something a long time ago in Vintage Guitar magazine. perhaps a search in their archives might reveal some news.
love the color.
you should put a raised nut on it and make it your slide guitar. the tone sounds right for that.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2