New Guitar advice requested

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to buy a new acoustic guitar for Christmas :D (coz I've been so good of course), not too expensive though (I haven't been that good apparently :cry: ) so I would appreciate some feedback these contenders.

Takemine g330
Fender DG-14S
Cort E100
Maton M225 (not Martin) is made in Australia

All solid tops. Or even an equivalent Washburn or Ibanez if someone can recommend one that I should have look at.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
pbee

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@bford)
Reputable Member

Hi pbee,

Since you mentioned Washburn I'll give an opinion. I have a D-10 that I was given last year. It is a really nice guitar that sells for about $225. I think it lists for more but, they all do. Well crafted with awesome tone. I have a set of D'Addarios on it. The action hasn't been a problem for me at all. It is a well built, good quality guitar.

I'm not qualified to give an opinion of the others you listed so I will defer to another poster.

Heres a link to Washburn if your still interesed; http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/dreadnoughts/d10s.aspx

BTW. My avatar is of my two Washburns. WI14 and D-10SB

Good luck and Merry Christmas :D . Let us know what you get.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks bford,
I mentioned Washburn cos I had a play of a Washburn some time back and was quite impressed but I didnt get the model number.
The other things that I meant to ask were:
with cutaway shaped guitars, does that alter the sound of the guitar significantly, and is it worth getting an acoustic/electric or am I just better off spending the extra on a better acoustic only guitar and just using a good microphone like I do now.

cheers
pbee

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might also look at Harmony Central's User Reviews for some basic information. (I'm going to move you up to the Guitar Players Forum.)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Cutaways do alter the sound, so unless you want access to the upper frets, you're probably better off going for the better acoustic sound. There are sound-hole mics and under saddle pick-ups that can be added later if using a regular mic is a hassle.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I played a Breedlove yesterday at the shop that I loved. Perfect balance in the sound. Good bass, bright treble. I would put it up against most Martin's, I think. It was $630 American, not sure what your price range is, though.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for your input, Harmony Central is a great site.
At the moment I tossing up between the Takemine g330 and an Art & Lutherie Spruce Dreadnought which is on sale at the moment. Someone told me that Spruce tends to warp a bit over time more that other woods, any thoughts or experience on that would be appreciated. Also I found that as my hands got a bit sweaty they tended to stick a bit to the neck but the tone was my kind of sound so I guess a bit of light sanding would fix that sticky problem :? .

BTW Ive been ruined now, the guy in the shop let me play a Martin :cry: if only I had lots of money.

thanks

pbee

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

At the $300+ range there are some great guitars. You mentioned Art & Lutherie. Maybe the same place has Norman and Seagulls as well. These are all made by the same Canadian company. I have a Seagull S6+ Spruce which I love. It has a wider neck than usual which makes it easier for me to fit my fingers in there without muting other strings. However, I have heard more experienced players dislike the neck.

Also. I've looked at a $300 range Takamine which looked, sounded and played great. I would definetely buy that If I needed one. (I don't know if it's the model that you've mentioned. But I saw it at Sam Ash in Manhattan if that helps).

But as I'm sure others before have mentioned already, you should really go play as many guitars as you can get your hands on. Even among 2 identical guitars from the same manufacturer you will find differences. And only you know what kind of sound you want from an acoustic. If you know one or two chords, you can test the guitar yourself. But it's better to bring a more experienced friend with you.

Last.. I wish I was shopping for guitars again (which I am, but only with "virtual cash" in my pocket). There's no reason it shouldn't be a fun experience at all. So have fun.

By the way. I was really dying for a Martin too when I was shopping for my guitar. It just didn't make sense to buy one of their cheaper models, although they do also have the Martin feel & sound.

I think you're working with a few good choices. Good luck.

oktay

Edit: (Please disregard the absolute beginner advice section. I hadn't seen your number of posts :P )

ReplyQuote