Skip to content
New Guitar - Pics/D...

Notifications
Clear all

New Guitar - Pics/Demo/New Tuners (Pearl)

62 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
10 K Views
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm off tomorrow so pics and a whole lot more to come ..... promise. I'm still awake cause I'm not too bright. I changed the strings, installed the strap locks, plugged her in. Intonation and action are dead on. Now how did that happen? Overheard at GF ..... "We peed him off by not shipping promptly. He won't order another one so we better set this one up so he will think all our guitars come this way!" :lol: I did find one flaw, the back reveals a seam where the body parts are joined down near the jack plate side on the back. You can see a line. As I said, the tuners aren't stellar but work OK. Only got to try it with the little modeling amp cause the wife was asleep but those Dream 180's are as advertised! With the new strings it plays as advertised ... like butter!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I wonder if my 870 and yours has the same tuners. I replaced mine with those wilkinsons (sp?) styled ones that they have. Not too bad. I think I had one or two bad ones on the guitar when I got it.

I've not heard the Dream 180's. Not that I know of, anyhow. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat2)
Trusted Member

Congrats...
What is GF

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What is GF
http://www.guitarfetish.com/ Been around for a while selling mostly parts. made a name for themselves and have been slowly expanding. The strings are the only thing I've purchased that I have not liked.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat2)
Trusted Member

wow
lots of cheap good looking guitars
i like yours best

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, GF is a pretty cool site.
I wonder if my 870 and yours has the same tuners. I replaced mine with those wilkinsons (sp?) styled ones that they have. Not too bad. I think I had one or two bad ones on the guitar when I got it.

I've not heard the Dream 180's. Not that I know of, anyhow. I'm looking forward to hearing them.
I bet they are Roy. Mine work, aren't bad but could be better. They feel cheap.
I went and ordered different tuners. I didn't really want locking ones but I did get a wild hair and decided to order ones with pearl buttons. I'm thinking it will be a nice touch.

I dunno ... what you guys think?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I think with the yellow it will go good. I picked up a set of those same ones for a strat project I was doing for my daughter, but that project never took off...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Somehow I jynxed my 560. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and tuned it up & played. One of the tuners has one of those loose spots in it now. Not too bad yet. I'll be able to get by for a while yet. I looked at my maintenance spreadsheet and the only clue about the tuners I replaced on the 870 was a three word phrase descriping what I thnik they do as opposed to why I think that. Note to self. Better note taking.

I'm trying to imagine the tuners you ordered. I might have to wait for the picture. Did you mention what else you are going to do to it yet? I may have forgotten that as well.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Like Paul said, I'm thinking the pearl against the yellow finish will be a nice touch. No other plans for it though Roy. Pots are good. Supposed to be full sized and they are smooth. The pickups are already premium and so far I like them. Need to try them through the tubeamp though. i just woke up so will do that in a bit. I already put Dunlop Strap Locks on it so I think after the tuners I'm done. Not too exciting huh?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'll do more when I get the pearl tuning keys.

Wanna hear it!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=476208&songID=11392149

It's just some noodeling but you will get the idea. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Do I want to hear it? Well, as a matter of fact, yes.

And I did. In an emoticon. :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, so this thing sounds like it takes to the overdriven tones like a fish to water. It also sounds like you've been playing that guitar for years. Meaning that you knew what and how it was going to react to whatever you did. The feedback was particularly impressive and sounded expertly managed. Not a new guitar kind of thing. Awesome, awesome and awesome.

I played a similarly shaped PRS SE semi Hollow Body at GC one time. It was a firecracker in my hands. This reminds me of that, except that your playing far outshines anything I can do. :wink:

Great score, man, great score. Add to it that you're not doing a whole lot to it that you would notmally do. (bridge, pickups, etc) Nice.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat2)
Trusted Member

sounds great
8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Awe shucks! Twernt nothing .... :roll: Yeah, I think I will keep it. This was my little Peavey modeling amp. All 15 watts. :lol: Through the tube amp you can tell the Dream 180's have a little different sound and as advertised. More articulation, less hot than my customary humbuckers but that was the idea. I'm planning to use the little Peavey as my studio amp for recording. Lots of FX and high gain sound at modest volumes. For The Man Cave though ..... I will still go to eleven. Wait! My Peaveys all go to twelve! :twisted: I tried it through the Valve King, need to try the 100 watt Windsor half stack yet. After I do that I will report on it. Apparently a 12" radius and a pair of humbuckers is all it takes to make me a Tele fan. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Do I want to hear it? Well, as a matter of fact, yes.

And I did. In an emoticon. :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, so this thing sounds like it takes to the overdriven tones like a fish to water. It also sounds like you've been playing that guitar for years. Meaning that you knew what and how it was going to react to whatever you did. The feedback was particularly impressive and sounded expertly managed. Not a new guitar kind of thing. Awesome, awesome and awesome.

I played a similarly shaped PRS SE semi Hollow Body at GC one time. It was a firecracker in my hands. This reminds me of that, except that your playing far outshines anything I can do. :wink:

Great score, man, great score. Add to it that you're not doing a whole lot to it that you would notmally do. (bridge, pickups, etc) Nice.

I agree fully!!!! Sounds great, and you seem to take right to it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Tried it with my "Spinal Tap" amp. (100 watt Peavey Windsor half stack) There are some feedback issues at high gain settings. It's semi hollow ... duh! But I can get it to 1 and play just about anything. (My Les Pauls will handle about 1 1/2 before squeeling like pigs) If I use the neck pickup I can chanel some serious Uncle Ted. The Valve King is fine but that is a combo and less directional. That 4 X 12 has a serious face peel zone and 1 is all this semi hollow will handle in The Man Cave. I had recording in mind when I made the purchase though so I'm all set. Yeah, I'll keep it.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5