Notifications
Clear all

new guitar rebuild- Gibson

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

I can vouch for the 57+ its a great birdge pickup for anybody. A really clear and concise pickup reminds me of a Duncan 59' Bridge.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hi - I recently refinished a Hamer setneck guitar with a similar repair. I think you should keep the body in it's natural state and paint the back of the neck. In fact, you could just paint the headstock to cover the repair and then paint a "fade" in the middle of the neck (similar to what the 335's and other semi-hollow's do on the back of the neck.

Another option would be to just paint the entire back and back of the guitar and then leave the top natural.

If the P-94s are in good working condition and fit correctly, I'd keep them in there.

For tuners I would recommend the GROVER VINTAGE tuners. Better than Kluson.

Nice job - $250 - a steal!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

I like Dali second idea! That would be a sweet looking paul!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i'd let the repair show. who cares what it looks like? it's just mojo. I like the idea of the natural body. i'd seal it with oil as well. I'd keep the p-90s too. pretty much, after the sealing, i'd add a pickguard (black maybe??), give it a good setting up, plug 'er in and RIPPPPP

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Keep it natural or put a tung oil finish on it. Looks beautiful! I'd replace the tuners with Grovers, mini-Grovers or Sperzels, I hate those plastic Gibson tuners, I don't know why they still use them. Locking tuners are so much better.....

Looks like you found a great deal. In terms of PUs, I think the new Burstbuckers sound great, Maybe keep one a PAF. I good friend of mine's wife has a LP Junior with PAFs, it sounds great, too.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2