Notifications
Clear all

New Guy

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@chilly-well-water)
Topic starter  

I just found this forum and from what I've seen you all seem like a pretty nice and helpful group. No one has called anybody an a$$hat, so that's good.

I've been playing for just over two years, using an Ovation AE Celebrity and an Epiphone Les Paul. My taste ranges all over the place, but I find myself listening to (and trying to play) Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Drive by Truckers, all sorts of Bluegrass, Dwight Yoakam, Willie, Waylon, Johnny, etc. more often than not.

I've got the common open chords and E and A based barre and power chords down, but I have no idea about how to go about playing lead, other than pentatonic, which just not seem to be enough, hence my reason for joining the forum. I doubt I'll post much, but feel that I'll get good advice whenever I do. Also, it never hurts to see what other folks are into.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

You will find that there is a large variety of talent here to match your wide variety of interests. Don't forget to check out the lessons on the main page and by all means ask any questions you have.

And to comment on your one statement. There is no flaming here. The mods put a stop to that real quick.

Enjoy your stay

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

welcome to GN!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Yep, Welcome to the best guitar forum on the net. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Yes welcome!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@chilly-well-water)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome. I left out two of my favorites, Black Sabbath and the Melvins, and my all time favorite, Zeppelin.

While I'm thinking about it, how do ya'll play a stardard open A chord, barred with the index finger, with three fingers, etc. I've been playing it by barring my index, but usually end up muting the first string rather than letting it ring true. I've been thinking about switching to a 3 fingered version, but it am wondering if it will be worth the effort in the long run, because it seems that I'll have problems getting three fingers on one fret.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the welcome. I left out two of my favorites, Black Sabbath and the Melvins, and my all time favorite, Zeppelin.

While I'm thinking about it, how do ya'll play a stardard open A chord, barred with the index finger, with three fingers, etc. I've been playing it by barring my index, but usually end up muting the first string rather than letting it ring true. I've been thinking about switching to a 3 fingered version, but it am wondering if it will be worth the effort in the long run, because it seems that I'll have problems getting three fingers on one fret.

I play it both ways. It all depends on what song I'm doing and where I'm going next.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

First off, welcome.

Barring it is fine. You need to barre it for some of the variations on it anyways.

Nothing wrong with Pentatonic, look at Clapton, his whole career is based on it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I don't play the barre, and I generally play it: D string - middle finger, G = index and B = ring finger.

Ah ... and welcome!

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

The Index finger, my fingers are way to fat to do it the other way :lol: :lol: It's possible to not mute the E string with some practice :D Welcome to GN--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN Chilly Well Water.

I have big fingers so I hit that A with my middle, ring and pinky or my index and middle. I may barre it as well.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome aboard!! I'm a three finger A chord person myself.

Geoo

Edited to note the fact that I am awake now, and know what chord I am talking about.. duh :oops:

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

welcome to guitarnoise!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Heck, most of Led Zep's solo's are pentatonic, right? Anyway, learn the three-finger method, comes in handy when you need to switch from A to Asus2 and such progressions.

ReplyQuote
(@tsarcazm)

I play the A by barring the 4thh and 3rd strngs with index an hitting the 2nd strin withh the miidle finger.

It sorta minimalises Clapton by syaing his career is based on pentatonics.

His carerr is based on feel. he jst hapens to use pents a lot.

Practice; don't ask, just practice

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2