16 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Uh , and won't you put pics of your epi les paul here for us to see.? :x

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

My taste ranges all over the place, but I find myself listening to (and trying to play) Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Drive by Truckers, all sorts of Bluegrass, Dwight Yoakam, Willie, Waylon, Johnny, etc. more often than not.

Hi and Welcome Chilly Well Water. Lots of good stuff around this forum - good people, some very good articles, and a few laughs too.

I share your interest in the Grateful Dead. I'm currently trying to master a bit of their song Uncle John's Band. One of the good things about them is that they were very happy for fans to record their gigs, so there seems to be lots of live perfomances around the net that can be downloaded and studied.

Enjoy your time at GN.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chilly-well-water)
Topic starter  

I share your interest in the Grateful Dead. I'm currently trying to master a bit of their song Uncle John's Band. One of the good things about them is that they were very happy for fans to record their gigs, so there seems to be lots of live perfomances around the net that can be downloaded and studied.

I have not tried learning Uncle John's Band. I've been working on Dire Wolf, Jack-a-Roe and Jack Straw. I have quite a few shows, mostly 73-79, and a really good recording of Jerry playing acoustic in 1980 at Oregon State Prison with John Kahn on upright bass. I want to learn just about every song from that set, but like the man says "all good things in all good time".

I'll see what I can do about posting a pic of my Epi LP. Also, thanks for all the suggestions on fingering the open A. In addition to using the barre, I'm gonna work on the 3 fingered version using the middle, ring and pinky. I just can't seem to fit my first three fingers on one fret.

Good points made by all on the number of folks who made a living around the pentatonic scale. I guess what I should have said is that it is one of the scales that I "know", but just don't know how to apply it to a given chord progression and make it sound like something.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard.
Personally I think it is good to learn standard 3 finger A chords as it makes some chord changes easier and faster and , as Arjen pointed out, vital if you ever want to play Asus progressions.
Lead? Please don't confuse lead with solo as many do.
Alot of lead parts are mostly built around chord shapes and using notes within that shape.
Take the first bar of Freebird for example. (a version I play from a fingerstyle book.)
Hold a C chord and play the 2nd and 5th strings together, then play the 4th string, while you are playing the 4th string lift the index finger , after you are done playing the 4th string play a hammer-on on the 2nd string 1st fret.
That is an example of a lead part.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I just can't seem to fit my first three fingers on one fret.

Had the same problem so my teacher had me set my three fingers in there like a triangle and that helped alot. Two fingers are close to the fret, and the third is just behind them. I would tell you exactly which one go where but I am at work with no guitar. :(

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is the most comfortable and quickest movement for me and the A chord. I sometimes barre it also just depending on where I am going and coming from.

Index on the G
Middle on the D
Ring on the B

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

Welcome to GN.

Lots of nice people here...with lots to offer.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2