Clear all

New Multi Track

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So my junky little Tascam 4 track PortaStudio has decided it doesn't want to work for me anymore. Really need to upgrade to digital anyway.

I'm looking to probably get an 8 track and spend up to $500. Right now the product I'm leaning towards is the Boss BR-864 8-Track Digital. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any opinions on other machines?

I'm probably going to use it for my own solo home recordings 90% of the time. Any advice is appreciated.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Be sure to get a built-in CD burner. It'll cost a bit more, but then you can easily save your files, and port them over to your PC if you want.

Note that the number of simultaneous recording input channels seems to have a big affect on the cost. Most have 2 or 4 inputs, even though they allow you to mix and process 8 or more. 8 or more inputs seems to be much more expensive.

Zoom, Tascam, and Yamaha seem to be the main players in this market. There are probably others.

Let us know what you decide.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking the CD burner would be nice too, this model doesn't have it. But is has a USB input, so you can transfer the wav files to a cpu then burn them (as long as your pc has a burner, which mine does).

I noticed the same thing about inputs...this one can take two simultaneous recording inputs at the same time. Not great, but since I'll be using myself most of the time it'll probably do.

Thanks for the input.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Check out the Digitech GNX4..I have one and it's awesome

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member

i have the boss br-864 hasn't let me down yet. you can import backing tracks in it and record over.

http://richmusic.dmusic.com all the recordings on my page were done wit the boss br-864

its great for the money

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

xSkaStyleex....I enjoyed those recordings, sounded great.

Did you import that background synth sound in Comfortably Numb? How do you import tracks? Can you import stuff right off a CD? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member

the boss br-864 doesnt come with a usb cable so you will need one.

what you do is convert the mp3 you wanna import to wav. plug the multi track to the pc via usb. choose to import on the multitrack (read the manual on how to do this) a window should pop up on the pc, open the iusb folder and place the .wav in there, then close the window, and unplug from the pc. choose exit on the multitrack and it should start inporting. you can state what track you want it on.

make sure the wav file is encoded as a 44khz or something like that.

the drums and synth in comfortably numb is all part of a back track,

oh and all the effects you hear in my reocrdings come from the multitrack itself, except voodoo child, i had to use a stand alone wah pedal for that.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
 Jnp
(@jnp)

I could rave all day about these Little machines. I've had mine for about a year and they are great. I rarely use it as a recording tool. More so as a practicing tool.

Import a song, use the play back feature to loop a certain part of a solo. Use the pitch correcting slow feature to slow the solo down. Use the inbuilt effects to dial in a pretty close tone to what you want. Then when your ready, speed it back up. Use the Center sound cancelling feature to actually drop out the lead guitarist and real time jam to the song.

The BR-864 is fantastic. If you can, stretch the funds to the BR-900 with the CD burner. And if you use it like i do get a bigger memory stick.

It has only two limitations that I would love to see corrected.

1) more than two track simultaneous recording. There are four people in my band and a drummer usually takes up at least Two Mics.

2) the abilty to import MP3's. Their smaller and hence faster to import.
By the time you take a MP3 convert to WAV then import the song to the Machine its about a 7 minute process. Thats twice as long as listening to the song! asuming the song is 3 1/2 minutes.

ReplyQuote