New Pickups

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@xeran)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

As you can see my post count i'm pretty new to the forums. I'm an intermediate player I guess you could say. I love classic rock and I dont like too much metal but I usually play System of a Down kind of music.

Just giving a little info about myself being that i'm new here :P

Well this post is just me expressing that I'm proud of myself, I managed to switch out my stock ibanez pickups for some seymour duncans. It took the half the day figuring out where the wires will go, and the other half actually soldering it in :P

Also gave some new strings a try, and I'm just really happy I guess which is why I'm posting. I can definatly see a tremendous difference in quality between the seymour duncans and the stock pickups

Lost hope in life? Visit http://bobsagetonline.com

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Welcome to you Xeran and congrats on the pickup replacements. Hope they continue to deliver for you.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN :D . Nothing like a little D.I.Y. 8) The guy across the street from me did the same with his Epiphone LP and it imroved the tone 100% :D :D -the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

Hey that's awesome. I've done a little bit of dso it your self work. I have a Turser telecaster that had a standard bridge that I converted to a through body and it sounds great. Increase the tone and sustain immensly.

That leads me to a question. I bought a couple of pickups from a person from ebay (that I have bought other stuff from). A pair of humbuckers, and between when I bought them and now I have mixed up the packaging and don't know which is the bridge and which is the neck. Is there any way of telling them apart at this point? What would be the effect of putting them into the wrong positions? Can I test their resistance and then know that the higher or lower one should be in a certain position?

Any ideas.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member

I was thinking of buying new pickups for my Squire strat

anyone got any suggestions which pickups will suit best?

I was thinking Fender Noiseless will these fit straight in? will it significantly change the quality of my squire, i mean is it worth spending out to make my suire more like a fender?

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Welcome Xeran. You'll find out quick that people here are very curtious, and the community is a very good one.

Congrats on the pickup replacement. It's always a good feeling when you try fixing something and it actually works :D

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Did the pups come with good install instructions? I'm going to be picking up some Gibson '57 Classics for my Epi LP and I'd rather do the install myself. However, I've never done a pup replacement, so I hoping they come with very thorough instructions.

Congrats on the install though and welcome to the board.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

@ cmoewes, what were the pickups?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@xeran)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone :D

Well, the schematics for it was for a les paul and well....i probably wont be getting one of those anytime soon, but they do give you a URL to go to for finding more instructions. Very helpful :)

Lost hope in life? Visit http://bobsagetonline.com

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

cmoewes,

measure the distance bewtween the outside poles on each of the two pups. The bridge should have the poles further apart than the neck.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey Congrats. It always feels good when you succeed at something like this. It is always nice to be able to say "I did it".

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote