Clear all

[New Pics] I think I got a new geeeetar

34 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks all for keeping me company while I wait for the guitar :) UPS says, Monday. Fingers crossed. ! :)

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

nice guitar, hope everything goes good 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@derecola)
Trusted Member

wow,that is sweet.please post some auido clips.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've got good news. The guitar arrived. It arrived in once piece and looks great. Couple of scratches on the side (towards the bottom), a few very small dents here and there, but it looks beautiful and feels very solid. The bridge pins looks like they were removed using regular pliers (with teeth marks), but I've done the same on my other guitar myself :P. Also the stings are absolutely dead so I can't really tell how it sounds, plus I'm at work so I can't play it yet. Action is a bit on the high side for my taste, but that can be corrected.

But my initial impressions are very good. Especially for the price I paid. I will post pictures later and let you all know how it sounds.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've got good news. The guitar arrived. It arrived in once piece and looks great. Couple of scratches on the side (towards the bottom), a few very small dents here and there, but it looks beautiful and feels very solid. The bridge pins looks like they were removed using regular pliers (with teeth marks), but I've done the same on my other guitar myself :P. Also the stings are absolutely dead so I can't really tell how it sounds, plus I'm at work so I can't play it yet. Action is a bit on the high side for my taste, but that can be corrected.

But my initial impressions are very good. Especially for the price I paid. I will post pictures later and let you all know how it sounds.

oktay

I'm looking foward to more pictures, and a good review. Have fun!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I hope it sounds as good as it looks - I think its a beauty.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

OK. Last night when I got to a friend's place with the guitar, I wanted to change the strings. The bridge pins were so tight, heads of three of them broke while trying to remove them. The low E bridge pin broke in two places even. Not having an extra set of pins with me, I decided to use what was available. They are still holding up, although they don't look great :).

I used medium strings, which I believe was a mistake. Before I have the action taken care of there's no point in using mediums on the guitar. It's pretty hard to do barres as it is. I think I'm going to put on extra-lights when I get the pins.

So anyhooo. Here's a sample recording. Note the bum chords as I struggle to fret cleanly and in tempo.

http://konspyre.org/my/audio/guitar/collab/higher_wall.mp3 (vocals courtesy of a friend)
http://konspyre.org/my/audio/guitar/collab/higher_wall_guitar.mp3 (no vocals, all bum chords)

Cheers.

oktay

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm no expert but I think it sounded very nice. It was bright without being tinny.

NICE!!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I took a few pics.

More at:

http://konspyre.org/my/images/CortPics/

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Looks nice.

I see that you have new bridge pins, does that mean you've got the XLs on it? The action doesn't look crazy high from the pics.

How does it play now?

I've seen a few Cort's on the shelf around here, but never given them a second look. I'd be interested to know if Cort knows how to make a decent playing instrument.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes I did get new bridge pins (tusq ones) and figured out why the original set came apart in the first place. The bridge pin holes are significantly narrower than standard sized pins and they had jammed that set in there. I was only able to get the new pins halfway in and left it at that. It works fine and doesn't bother me. I might look for narrower ones later.

I also switched to XL strings and adjusted the truss rod about half a turn (total in 2 times). These helped with the action a lot. At first the strings were buzzing a bit much, but the strings seem to be settling now. I'm observing that extra light strings need a little bit time before they settle, unlike mediums which I like from the get go. There's still some slight buzzing when I attack the strings with force but nothing major. I might still have it set up, but I don't think there will be a drastic improvement anymore.

So all in all, I am very happy with this guitar even without considering the price.

Also, as for Cort being able to produce a decent guitar, they are actually the biggest guitar manufacturer in the world, manufacturing instruments for companies such as Ibanez, Fender etc.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Also, as for Cort being able to produce a decent guitar, they are actually the biggest guitar manufacturer in the world, manufacturing instruments for companies such as Ibanez, Fender etc.
I believe that honour goes to Samick.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah. I think I should have said "one of the biggest manufacturers". Thanks.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Dragging this further off topic....
I believe that honour goes to Samick.

Is there a "big list" of who makes what for who?
Or does it change so often that it's pointless to try and keep up?

I realise that a "budget" guitar and a "high end" guitar from the same factory probably don't have a lot in common, but knowing what guitars are "close cousins" it might lead to trying out guitars of "no known name" that one might not have otherwise checked out.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3