Notifications
Clear all

New to me....

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cycledude)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, A guy at work gave me an acoustic guitar today. He said it's taking up space.

It looks to be a 60's/70's vintage Harmony. says "Made in the USA" on the head stock.

It's dirty and scuffed up, but appears to be playable. I'm a rookie player, so I dont really know but I tuned it, was strumming some open chords and it's still in tune hours later. MIght not be much, but we'll see how she cleans up.

Anybody know anything about these? I googled and got a wiki page with little info.

7 pc. Gretsch Catalina Maple Drum Kit
Ibanez EX series electric guitar
PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Have you looked at this page yet?

From that page's FAQ:

Harmony instruments were produced on an industrial scale. Even the less common models can't be considered "rare". Remember that all Harmony made guitars (this means all guitars on this website) are still considered low grade instruments by most players and collectors, and can't be compared in value to the "great" names as Gibson, Fender, Martin... As a result, only a handful of guys in the world are ready to pay real money for a rare Harmony model.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@cycledude)
Topic starter  

Hi Kent, I just stumbled accross that site.

It's a Harmony H162, which was in production from 1940 to 1971. It has a solid mahogany body with bindings that look like a tortouse shell patern, a spruce top and 21 fret rosewood fingerboard. The white truss rod cover boasts "Made in USA".

Some Old English, Guitar Honey, and elbow grease have made her look presentable.

It may not be a Martin or a Gibson, but I'm still kinda stoked about getting it for free.

:mrgreen:

7 pc. Gretsch Catalina Maple Drum Kit
Ibanez EX series electric guitar
PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Nothing wrong with loving a cheap guitar :D

I got me a fixer-upper for $15 a while back.
It's a pretty cool thing, for what it is.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Congrats, they are a nice guitar if they have survived the test of time. I've had a few, they can be finessed, and I completely restored one once, and converted it over to a lefty for someone. Better tuners would be nice? Enjoy! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote