No silence's

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, bit of a dilemma.

I'm gonna be the lead instrument in my church worship band for the first time ever on a sunday morning. I do it on tuesday nights but thats only 2 songs well spaced apart. There is going to be long times of worship, and i'm under obligation to keep playing whilst the pastor prays, or to let people respond to the spirit and such. I was wondering if anyone knows the best way for me to keep it going on my own.

Should i just keep playing the progression from the chorus gently? Should i change to picking?
I know church isn't a thing for a lot of you, but music sure is and i know you can give me good advice.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

David "The Jam Named A Song After Me" Watts:

What we will often do in that situation (playing between songs, backing prayers) is have one of the acoustic guitarists fingerpick the intro or chorus of the next song we're going to play. That sets it up nicely.

Something else I've seen that works well is to have an electric guitarist do some atmospheric stuff with a delay pedal and volume pedal. If you try that, see if you can get a transition in there from the key of the prior song to the key of the next one.

And our 'old familiar' standby is to have the keyboardist turn down her volume and just play something mellow, or maybe a hymn.

Best of luck!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

gently strum the chords and pick the melody of a song. it takes practice, but that's what Monday is for.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. It went well. My first time as lead instrument. I picked, i gently strummed, i cut half the strums out of the pattern i was playing. Basically i just messed around. We sort of ended up writing our own worship song at the time too. I was just picking through G - C - G - D and the lead vocal started singing some random stuff. Sounded nice. Thanks guys

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote