Notifications
Clear all

Notes are ringing for too long when I play

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lolkid1)
Topic starter  

I just started a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing some songs that I like, notably Cowboys from hell by Pantera, and

Sick or Sane by Senses Fail a wide range of others, and a few other songs that use the low E string quite a bit. But in these

songs the sound is very short but when I play it it rings while I'm hitting other strings, and it's really annoying when I dont

come back to the e string for a while because I can still hear it ringing while I'm hitting the other strings. I have a Cort G-100

which looks like a gibson les paul and has two humbuckers. I'm playing on a marshall MS-2, a mini amp that my friend gave

me. Please help me figure out the problem!!

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I don't know the songs you mention, but it sounds to me like you need to learn how to either palm mute the string you want to stop sounding, or use one of your fretting fingers to lightly touch the low E string when you want it to stop ringing.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Reincarnate is correct. If you want to play Cowboys from Hell, you HAVE to learn how to plam mute. That song uses a short sticato rhythym. There's no way you are going to reproduce that unless you palm mute. You'll find allot of use for this technique when playing metal.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

don't hold the note down. release with your left hand. or palm mute like they said. or both

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ya. rest the heel of your pick hand on the bridge. you cover the strings and they don't sustain as much.
press hard and you stop em cold.
work the pressure and hear the differences. use that in your playing.
another word for muting would be damping. that's a light touch.
it all adds interest, tone, and keeps some things from getting too mushy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote