Skip to content
Now all we need is ...

Notifications
Clear all

Now all we need is one that plays itself!

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Gibson have announced their new self-tuning guitar:

Les Paul Powertune

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

MF has it up already.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Powertune-Kit?sku=360657

And wow this incredible, hard to believe how far technology is going.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

$900?
sheesh, i shoulda went to school to learn to tune guitars!
seems Gibson believes people will spend quite a bit to avoid the drudgery
lets see, how many turns of the peg for a Dollar?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

TwistedLefty said: lets see, how many turns of the peg for a Dollar?

This one really sounds like either (a) an answer looking for a problem, or (b) what you buy for the guitarist who already has everything he/she actually wants.

Funny, when I read the thread I thought of the VG Strat, and I see Gibson take an unashamed swing at it in their marketing guff. But where the VG doesn't change your string tension (I don't think), it just models the amped signal; this baby actually turns the tuning pegs for you! Fiendishly clever, these Japan - er, sorry, Americans! :)

David

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

MF has it up already.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Powertune-Kit?sku=360657

And wow this incredible, hard to believe how far technology is going.

$899.99 at MF! It will probably cost at least AU$3000.00 here in Australia. I think the Fender VG is around AU$2800.00.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@anuradha)

Dunno if it will be available in India...if it is then it will be very expensive

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

If I'm not mistaken this is an "add on" for your guitar.
the ad at MF doesn't mention a guitar in the description.

so it's a $900 dollar accessory?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Tronical Powertune new at Musikmesse 2007
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WI934KFn1Ls
Think Gibson layed out some big bucks for this?

http://www.tronical.com/

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

OMG! :shock: That is the coolest device ever! I just watched two videos on it.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

That guy that invented it is a genius!

This device is the best thing to happen to a guitar since the first electrics were made. What gigging musician wouldn't love this? Being able to tune quickly and accurately on stage is a must, especially when going to open tunings. Instead of buying other guitars to be your "insert tuning here" guitar, you can just use your one, favorite guitar.

I won't be getting the system for awhile, but as with all technology, it will only get better and cheaper as more time goes by.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

My only concern (besides price) is we normally tune to pitch and possibly slightly sharp then back it off flat then to pitch. I wonder if those tuners do that too. If they do that's like NASA on tuning.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's just an emberassing invention. Wouldn't want to be caught dead with it, ever.
This device is the best thing to happen to a guitar since the first electrics were made. What gigging musician wouldn't love this? Being able to tune quickly and accurately on stage is a must, especially when going to open tunings. Instead of buying other guitars to be your "insert tuning here" guitar, you can just use your one, favorite guitar.

Yeah, I'm sure up until now nobody ever figured out how to tune their guitar on stage. Man, what a revolution this is. Just imagine: fifty years ago you needed a pair of ears to tune your guitar, last year you only needed a pair of eyes and an electric tuner. But now you can be both blind and deaf and still tune your guitar! Whoohooo!

Sure, people will say 'but what if the light is very dark and the audience very noisy, so you cant hear if you're in tune?' Well, how are you going to play anyway if you cant hear if you're in tune? If you play you need to hear yourself, and we invented (in ear) monitor systems for it. Being able to hear yourself is a must. And if you can hear yourself you dont need no device to tune, just listen. And if you can't then spend that money on ear training lessons, plenty of tonedeaf guitarist around already and we definitely dont need more.

Besides, since when do you tune to whatever artificial frequency anyway? I thought I was supposed to listen to the bass and vica versa, or do we all get this tuning device now so we can all be perfectly in tune while not hearing anything?

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

That's just an emberassing invention. Wouldn't want to be caught dead with it, ever.

Yeah, I'm sure up until now nobody ever figured out how to tune their guitar on stage. Man, what a revolution this is. Just imagine: fifty years ago you needed a pair of ears to tune your guitar, last year you only needed a pair of eyes and an electric tuner. But now you can be both blind and deaf and still tune your guitar! Whoohooo!

Sure, people will say 'but what if the light is very dark and the audience very noisy, so you cant hear if you're in tune?' Well, how are you going to play anyway if you cant hear if you're in tune? If you play you need to hear yourself, and we invented (in ear) monitor systems for it. Being able to hear yourself is a must. And if you can hear yourself you dont need no device to tune, just listen. And if you can't then spend that money on ear training lessons, plenty of tonedeaf guitarist around already and we definitely dont need more.

Besides, since when do you tune to whatever artificial frequency anyway? I thought I was supposed to listen to the bass and vica versa, or do we all get this tuning device now so we can all be perfectly in tune while not hearing anything?

I'm not sure how often you go see live music but every guitarist I can remember seeing tunes onstage with an in-amp tuner or a tuner pedal. Are you against that too. Should every guitarist out there be tuning by ear because that's the way they originally did it. I mean, I know pianists haven't advanced much further than the tuning fork but us guitarists, we're all about technology.

Just sayin...

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'd personally recommend a tuning fork over a tuner any day of the week for practice sessions. Tuners on-stage are no problem with me if it protects the audience from too loud tuning noises. For a few hundred bucks you have an excellent strobostomp, spending 900 so you dont have to turn the pegs yourself is not advancement but encouraged laziness fed by corporate greed and the usual guitarist's GAS.

And it has nothing to do with 'original', I dont care what people did in the past. However, the 'modern' way that apparantly electric guitar is 'all about' has resulted in a massive load of 'musicians' that are practically tonedeaf. And with electric guitar it's getting way out of hand: people tune with tuners and then play tabs: of all the guitarists around town I know almost none is able to tune their instrument themselves, make a proper bend, repeat a melody by ear or properly harmonize a melody by ear. They play a song from tab with a typo and dont even hear it's out of key. All very basic and essential skills every musician should learn. But for some reasons electric guitarists feel they are somehow special and can fix their complete lack of musical skills by buying stuff and calling that 'advancement' instead of just spending their time on practicing and their money on lessons. Yay. :roll:

It's nothing short of a total disgrace.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

You seem quite negative to the new invention. There are many products (guitar and non-gutiar related) out there I don't like. There are even more I can't afford.

The price for that product is really high for most of us average guys. I'd imagine few guitar players will be outfitting their slew of guitars with the system. But, if they can and want to, by all means. It seems like a good invention.

Also, the tuning-by-ear vs. a tuner is another thing. I'd opt for the tuner any day. Tuning-by-ear is a great skill but seldom necessary. Don't all guitar players have a tuner in their rig? In my first month of playing I had a generic tuner that was accurate +/- 3-5 cents. I was really frustrated at the needle popping all over the place so I got a Peterson that's accurate +/- 0.1 cents. Life's been good since. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2