Skip to content
Now all we need is ...

Notifications
Clear all

Now all we need is one that plays itself!

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I'm very negative towards this 'invention'. I'd be willing to pay a fair ammount of money to go back in time and re-learn without the tuner. I'd suggest anyone starting out now to get a tuning fork or pitch pipe and not a tuner. Why? Because tuning your guitar by ear is an essential skill, if not THE essentill skill. Why? Tuning with a good tuner results in a well tuned instrument, right? Well, yes, but it's not about tuning at all. Being able to tune your guitar means your ear has developed to the point that you can't just recognize intervals, but more importantly, can hear when an interval is perfectly in pitch and when it isn't. Only after picking up the violin did I realise how much my hearing really sucks, and I've been working on fixing that since. Every violin teacher in the world will tell you tuners suck, and won't allow you to bring one with you. As a musician you'll need to develop basic hearing skills and tuning devices will greatly hinder you if you rely on them.

So what's the big deal about that? A guitar is a fretted instrument, and unlike with such instruments as the human voice and the violin i't's possible to play a in-tune melody without really listening to what you play, as long as your instrument is tuned. That means that a person born deaf could learn to tune their guitar and play a melody in tune, without ever hearing that themselves. That might seem great but it's a huge problem: because people tune their guitar without really listening, and play their melodies without really listening they never develop their ears. And that's where the problems start: a deaf person might be able to play a simple melody, but when you continue to develop you'll need a proper hearing to play proper music. You need to be able to respond to what the other musicians do, you need to be able to make your bends correct, you'll need to really control your instrument.

These are the core skills of any musician, and guitarists should be no exception. Anyone with these skills should be able to tune their guitar by ear within seconds, and be able to hit a chord and say which string is off, and by how much. Just like a colorblind painter will have difficulties fully expressing himself so will a tonedeaf musician have the same. Yes, you can come a long way with tabs and tuners but sooner or later you'll be stuck.

As for this particular invention: what's the point? You can tune a guitar, either by ear or tuner, within seconds. Use a proper tuner and you can tune it perfectly to whatever tuning while being perfectly deaf. The only advantage this thing seems to offer is that you don't have to burn the 0.0001 calories by turning the peg yourself. Sure, people have the right to do whatever they want, but as far as I can see this is only fun for those people who managed to combine extreme laziness with a well-supplied bankaccount.

This is not to say I am against tuners: in live performances they could serve to tune 'muted', so you don't piss the audience off. But if you use them because you can't tune it yourself then I'm willing to bet that your solos will suck balls.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

They finally combined a String Master with a guitar!

That looks interesting, how long has that been around?

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

That looks interesting, how long has that been around?
At least 10 years. I remember seeing reviews in some old magazines.
I've never actually seen anyone use one at a gig, though.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think Jimmy Page has been using this on one of his Les Pauls for awhile now.

Jimmy de-tunes

I think it would be nice to have for changing tunings at the push of a button from one song to the next.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Jimmy Page interview self tuning guitar

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jthomas23)

:D This thing would be great for my little brother, found a cool video of it:

gibsons-self-tuning-powertune-system- video

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

That video doesn't seem to be working anymore - well, for me at least...

ReplyQuote
(@jthomas23)

:( sorry guys - youtube removed that video!!! if anyone can find another copy of it please post , it was pretty cool

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2