Clear all

Now I see why rock groups split-up...

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Slowly assembled a 4 piece band last November. Started with the rythym guitarist, and I on lead. Two of us played great together but there was an immediate competitive streak. Seemed fine for the time being and I figured competition should be healthy.

Tried a female singer but unfortunately the rythym guy ordered her around too much, she left after one jam.

Brought in a bassist. Now we're three. Right away the rythym guy starts nit-picking on the bassist, "no no no you're not playing this right", non-stop. Bassist has only played for a year. My philosophy is ease up on the guy, he's just started.

For months, both the rythym guy and I wrote our own stuff and played it in our jam session. He's a better guitarist than I, playing for a lot longer and not suprisingly wrote twice as much as I did. So I would solo over his songs and it was a great leap in my playing ability, however, he rarely shows any enthusiasm for any of my stuff, goes through the motions playing lead over my stuff. Now I'm no McCartney, but my chord progressions weren't bad. Not as complex as his arrangements, as he uses a lot of jazz chords. 80% of the stuff we play is his, but I thought well why not keep practicing my scales and soloing.

Add the drummer, an old friend of mine and we're four. We graduated to a rehearsal studio and really started sounding like a band, it was a great experience. Once again, the rythym guy starts up on the bassist impatiently telling him how to play. After every song I'd say to the bassist, just relax and do your thing, you sound fine. After 2 months, the bassist stops showing up, no surprise, so I find another more experienced bass player. Unfortunately the rythym guitarist expects the new bassist to automatically know how to play his songs! So once again, "no no no, do it this way, etc".

Last month went to Europe and came back with a lot of ideas, had a writing streak and came back enthused with a bundle of new songs. Now we were 50/50 his stuff/my stuff and since then he's not liked it. On a few occasions he's almost sat motionless, farting around on my stuff, then springing back to life on his own songs.

Fast forward to today, and the bassist isn't returning to the group. And I'm going to also have a talk with the rythym guy. I will probably remove him which will leave just the drummer and I.

Sorry for the rant, but I never realized how difficult this could be.

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Dump the rhythm player, find a new one and get back in touch with those that left and you got on with. Possibly even take them on board first and decide on a new rhythm guy together.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Exactly, if the rhythm guy was the only sticking point, then go back to the older members first, then work on getting a new rhythm guy.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Dump the rhythm player, find a new one and get back in touch with those that left and you got on with. Possibly even take them on board first and decide on a new rhythm guy together.

+1,000 That rythym guy(he seems like a jerk) should get his arse kicked for bullying up on the newbie's. I hate it when people do that, unless the newbie deserves it, like mouthing off to people for no reason... 8) Yeah, even though that rythym guy has some good stuff, if you ever get famous, he'll probably be the first one to do something stupid and break up the band. To sum it up: He's not worth it. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Even a baby would know what to tell that guy.

Baby Knows

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I guess it's a no brainer. The thing is, the band was never meant to be serious, instead just to have fun and learn a thing or two and improve along the way. This rythym guy has stated he's serious and wants to play professionally, play onstage, make his own records. Probably wanted it to be "his" group. I've got nothing against his dream and once told him, "go find some serious players, follow your dream". That was months ago, he literally doesn't play with anyone else, or maybe, no one wants to play with him.

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

or maybe, no one wants to play with him.

That's about the size of it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

been there, done that... I know exactly what you're going through, and I echo the advice everyone else is giving you, dump that guy, get back with your other buds, and just have fun. Music should be = :D , not = :evil: .

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Unless your the leader of the band, in which case it's a mix of both: :twisted: .

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

#1 most important aspect of a bandmember is their personality. If you don't like a bandmember it will never work. Ever. So tell he either behaves from now on or he'll be kicked out. Screw his skills, never work with people who aren't willing to support their bandmembers (which should be friends!). Get in touch with the bassist, maybe just jam with him for the fun until you worked the problems out with the rhythm guy.

Your band is in trouble, but if you'll get together and just say what each of you want it should be no big problem to fix what is wrong and get going again. And keep on writing, no matter what anyone might say!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't like that guy. I'd go with everyone else here, kick him, get the rest of the band back together, and find a new rhythym player.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

No amount of talent is worth putting up with if the person is no fun to play with, ever, period.

Regardless of if you remain a garage band for life or end up with a multi-platinum pro career, if you are not having fun, then you won't stick with it. If the person is a pain to deal with and put up with, then you aren't having fun.

It sounds like when it was just the two of you and you were properly humble recognizing him as the better player he was ok. But when you started adding people he kept trying to show he's the top dog. That's just the wrong attitude. It's ok to want to try and outdo each other in your playing, but it's wrong to be HAVE to be the top dog. Lack of humility is not something that is conducive to being in a good group.

Groups that last have members who respect each other. This guy sounds like he's not able to show respect. Ergo, he's got to go.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I'd say get the bass, drummer, and the singer. You don't need a rhythm player.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote