18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have this thing I'm thinking about.

Recently I have discovered that I write songs :shock: Perhaps it is the only thing in my life I am almost certain that I can do pretty well. At least compared to a lot of things that get playing time on norwegain radio I wouldn't be ashamed at all to hear some of my songs in between there. - I'm not the type to brag about myself, and I'm not, it's just I'm finally happy with something I've done.

This triggers some thinking. - What should I do next? I have to set a goal for myself I think, and maybe a reasonable goal would be to get one song played on national radio next year.

There are lots of challenges:

1. Playing - Should I look around for skilled musicians to play every little part - or should I practice bass, learning MIDI for drums, practice guitar...? I know a lot of semi-pro musicians so I guess if I dare I could talk them into recording some stuff for me, but I'm worried about exposing myself - and maybe get a - "are you kiddin' me - you want me to play on that?". And also, it kinda like it's not "my thing" anymore then. Now it's my songs, I play them.

2. Studiowork - Now I record in Audacity sittin in my armchair in the kitchen. I have to do something with the sound. I know I should get e.g. Kristal - but I'm kinda reluctant to spend too much time learning new stuff. I know I can do it, but its gonna take time. Also learning basics for eq and mixing, and recording ... I feel I have a very, very long way to go, and it puts me off. Perhaps I should pay to have one or two songs recorded in studio. But again - I'm very sensitive to my own things and I lack a lot of confidence - not to say the money

3. Alternative - live music. I also think about playing some more live. And the thing is - I've hooked up with two great guys (one of them being my brother). We get along very well, but I don't exactly feel like a very skilled musican, and still it's fair to say that I do most of the work -finding harmonies, teaching guitar parts, arranging music, deciding on set list. I learn a lot of things from the playing. But I hardly learn anything from the others I think. And I think it will take many years to get us anywhere near what i'd consider a good band - hope you are not reading this :roll: Again, I would have liked playing with somebody who could teach me something. I think I am good enough to hide behind someone good for a long way ahead. But I'm kinda frightened of that too. And it is somewhat complicated with the current setting.

Oh well - rambling again :? It's only I have received so much support and learned a lot from you folks over the last years - I feel I can confide in you - don't tell anyone, will you :wink:

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

1. The whole point of music is to share it and effect others emotionally, the sharing should start with you! Its not a big deal and it'll give you some feedback which is always great!

2. I doubt paying for a studio will make you any less nervous about performing your songs, maybe stick to the home version until you get enough feedback and practice with publicly performing songs. The experience you'll get from mixing your own stuff will be invaluable forever, and its easy as pie to create a basic mix.

3. I think your lacking confidence. Many great tunes are extremely simple compositions, but will wow the average listener who cant tell an open chord song from a song full of a multitude of full barres etc.

I'm only a beginner myself, but I think you've probably re-read your post and saw the answers within already. Even I can make people smile and sing along with some of the easy stuff I can play, and you sound lightyears ahead of me. Just go make people smile with the music you've put together so lovingly, its why you started doing it in the first place! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What to do?

Everything.

There's probably no need to find skilled musicians. Get a few musician friends round, get them playing, and see how your songs pan out. So many ideas will sound good, so many will sound hideous, but you will learn so much.

Recording - go for it. You don't need an expensive studio. You can get a 4-track cassette recorder for silly money - I have the Tascam 414MKII and you can get them very cheap on E-bay. Record in Audacity from the monitor out socket into your PC's mic socket. I also have the Boss Micro BR 4-track digital which will export in MP3 format, has a USB port and isn't horribly priced.

You learn a heck of a lot playing live, even if it's just an open mic night. Play live as much as you can. Being a skilled musician isn't critical. Learning from the experience is.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree. make it everything about you. my art making is my lifestyle choice.
so make music creation your lifestyle.
all that means is you plug away at it whenever and wherever opportunity arises.
you send the song demos out without thinking of getting the response you want. you perform everywhere. you hook up with musicians, get small gigs, . things like that. your financial outlay will be more than the income. that's how it is.
you use the best equipment you can afford. to that end, it may be time to leave Audacity.
then some day you might be recognized. that would be great. but if that does not happen at least you have lived your life following your bliss....doing what you need and want to do.

you never know, maybe some producer will hear you. then, as par, all the band members that you have will be dumped and a hand picked pro group will, back you for the record company recordings.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As you've been bitten by the songwriting bug, you could try dropping in on the Sunday Songwriter's Group and trying the weekly topics there. By far the biggest part of my songwriting output over the last four years has been written around themes or topics suggested in the SSG....just over 100 songs in four years. It's the first place I look in on Sundays!

And even if you don't get a song out of it every week, it's all good practise - like it says on the forum header, you practise guitar, why not practise songwriting as well?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Are you in some regular job ?

Or

Are you deciding to make music your primary job ?

That you have to choose first. All things flow from it.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Everyone has mentioned the "you" part. I can only echo that sentiment. Even when you get a jillion piece ensamble behind you, it's still you.

For item #3, it sounds to me that if you flip the outlook, you might realize the benefits that the situation presents. If you're doing the lion's share of the work, than you get the lion's share of the decision making. Hence, it's yours. some very beautiful music has been created using simple techniques. In the end, it's the song, right?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

All very good, sage advice. The only thing I could add would be this. I assume you are younger than I. Tomorrow will be here quicker than you realize. And that one day that tomorrow represents, you will look back and understand that time has slipped by far too quickly. Don't let that day come and you will find yourself saying, "I should have or I could have".

You see in yourself now, something that may take others years to identify or act upon. Circumstances and life's path have the ability to prevent or delay this for others. If songwriting/becoming a musician is calling you now, answer it and embrace it while you have it. Do not wait until all chance has gone beyond recall or desire.

For what its worth...

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

If I were you, I would correspond with Ignar, (Arjen, Sleutelbos).
He's ahead of you and moving forward.
Wouldn't it be great if the two of you got together . . .
find two more and form the equivalent of the Beatles of the 21st century?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for reading guys

It's not that I'm generally nervous about performing in general, or my songs particulary. i have some on myspace and I have performed them live a couple of times. By and large I'm comfortable with that. I am just a guy playing guitar and its nothing serious. I think what I am afraid of is taking one further step - face the world and say "this is serious, this is what I want to do". I think I will never call myself a musician, or even guitarist. I am playing guitar occationally.

I have gotten some good compliments, but I have this stupid thing that I am very good at explaining them away (they don't have a clue, they are just being friendly, they were not listening...). I still have the feeling that one day someone I respect as musician will say - "you know this is crap dont you?" - I think I will burn my songs and give away my guitars should that happen. Well - that's me - probably something I should work on. ... Being a chicken and a coward wont take me far.

And I have this feeling of a crossroad approaching. I m older that some of you and younger than others (33). I have a masters degree from the university and I am about to NOT finishing a PhD it seems. However it is not an option to live from music - not in the near future. Too many kids, too large mortage for that. ...

I don't remember what the quesiton was anymore ... - guess I am just venting

Thanks again
lars

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

um, if you put your guitar down...I'm coming to take it. :note1:
one rarely makes a living from music.
it usually makes a life better, however. :note2:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So, do professional musicians write code or dig ditches for a hobby? Makes sense, seeing how their old hobby is now called "work" for them. :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

However it is not an option to live from music - not in the near future. Too many kids, too large mortage for that. ...

Why does it have to be a clean cut? Why not ease into it? BTW...I'll join your band but you HAVE to move to New Jersey. :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The live-from-music thing was mostly an answer to Rahul. You're right blueline - no clean-cut required. Some adjustments. hmmm New Jersey... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

My goal would be to just learn how to write lyrics to my songs! I'd be pretty stoked about that if I could!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2