Clear all

Off to vacation

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hello, well I'm going to leave the forums for three weeks. Vacationing in the beautifully stable middle east with my parents. I'm sure it won't be as bad there as I make it to be. I jsut wish I could bring a guitar with me. Its 7 hours from new york to paris, then 5 more to lebanon, and I'm doing these right after another. Well, I just thought I should tell you guys.

Does anyone else have any plans for the summer?

(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Man, thats rough, 3 weeks without your guitar.
Every summer my family goes out to my grand parents for a week, and I can't take my guitar. Hopefully they'll have a music store nearby that you could visit often to keep your chops up. Anyway, have fun.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sneak your guitar on the plane.

Then ROCK THE KASBAH! 8)

Have a safe vacation and hurry back.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have fun any way. Think positive maybe you'll find a great deal on one while your there. I just got back from going fishing up north last week, was suppose to go for two weeks, I came back early. I played guitar the the first night and most of the next day. Finally got out fishing was doing fine until my daughter made pets and named the all the minnows...lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I managed to take my Epi LP to Texas, and arranged to have one shipped here....going to be fun getting them home!!!

Went to Amsterdam earlier this year, no guitar, couldn't wait to get home...and that was only 4 days...

Took my acoustic to Benidorm for a week...wasn't going to make the same mistake again....!!!!

Anyway, have a good trip....took us a grand total of 38 hours from leaving home in England to booking in at Texas hotel....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

thanks eveyrone, Im sure everything will be fine done there.

38 hours vic? I would've gone crazy. Getting there is a pain in the arse. It's going to be 7 hours to Paris, with 5 hours for timezones, and then a 1.5 hour wait for the conencting flight to Beirut, Lebanon which takes 4 hours, plus 2 more hours for timezones. It's going to get crazy. Nowhere close to you vic, but still pretty bad.

I'm interested in buying an ood, thats the arabic word, I tried my best to english-ize it. It's got an acoustic guitar shape, but the head stock is at a 90 degree angle, it's used everywhere in arabic music. It's also a few times smaller than a standard acoustic. The body shape is more of a large bowl.

Kinda like this:

Anyways, the flight is tomorrow, July 6th at 5pm.
From here on, enjoy 3 more weeks with your guitars

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

have fun black, and be careful, beriut can be dangerous :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Kinda like this:

Did anyone look at these and try to count the tuning pegs on the 3rd picture? There had to be at least 20 strings on that bad boy. :shock:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

20 strings and 4 fingers? Hmmm....coud be fun....

BTW, took 38 hours to get here, with a 2-hour layover in Minnesota...going back we have a 6 and a 1/2 hour wait between flights...

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Have fun blackzero. Hope you can get one of those 'funky guitars'.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for everything guys.

Its around 10am now, and I'm leaving here to JFK at 1pm.

I found that the name of the instrument. It's called the "oud"
There are a ton of sites about it, maintenance and all. I found it surprising that GHS makes oud strings. Also, ouds have around 11-12 strings, and they can easily vary.

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_oud.html

Just a couple of sites to fuel your interests. They tend to be expensive because every oud is a super custom shop instrument. The cheapest I've seen is $289. While the really expensive ones go through an incredible process. For example, this one craftsman, he cooks/stores wood for 7-13 years before it hits the right content to be made into an oud.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, how are you all doing? Hope I didn't miss anything on the forums.

Im fine, jsut come back from Beirut on the 31st. It was a decent vacation, but it seemed too short in the end. I really didn't think I could stay any longer though, I started to geet nervous over there, over a course of 21 days, there were 3 car bombs with a total of 2 ppl dead, which is about 2 people too many.

I didn't get a chance to buy an aoud. I really wanted to though. I found a great one, really excellent quality for 100,000LL, which is about $66! It was a real once in a lifetime deal, but whats the point of having parents if they don't say "no", so thats the end of that.

3 weeks apart from my guitar has been horrible, my cousin continously pointed out whenever I would air guitar in the middle of the conversation. At one point, it got really bad, I was using two hands and at the dinner table. :lol: :lol: My parent's weren't too happy with that, and my grandparents think Im positively nuts. Other than that, nothing exciting 8)

It's good to be back to answering threads, and I hope you all have a good time.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Glad to hear you made it back alive. This world is a fuc.........I'll just leave it at that. Sorry to hear you didn't get your aoud but, best things come to those who wait.

Either way, glad to have you back!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Welcome back man! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good to have you back in one piece....btw, took us 50 hours to get back from Texas, including a 12-hour delay in Minneapolis Airport (if the world had haemhorroids, that's where they'd be!!!) and a bomb scare in London - next time, we book direct flights!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote