Clear all

Oh The Horror of it All!!!!

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, so I was practicing today and a buddy I live with stopped in with his guitar so we could jam a little. It was going great - he was teaching me some stuff and we were having a blast. Then he decided it was time to head out for a beer, so I propped my guitar against the wall, as I have done a 1000 times before and stood up, but when I went to step away from the chair I clipped the bottom of the guitar with my foot and it started to slide towards the floor, rapidly accelerating with each heartbeat.

My buddy, being the true friend that he is, caught it before it could hit the floor, but I realized, I haven't held my breath for that long in years! Hell, I am too old for excitement like that and it dawned on my just how attached to this six-stringed instruement I have become. I haven't expeirenced that adrenaline rush of anxiety since I was nearly in a car accident! Wow, what an eye opener.

PS - Went to GC today and bought a guitar stand. No more leaning it against walls.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I had one of my guitars on a stand.......... woke up the next morning to go to work.......... opened up the closet door to get my things……….. *thinks to self* where did that “thud” come from?

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY AXE!!!! Set neck at that! Face first on the ground!

I almost didn't show up to work that day! My axe is fine, but my heart lost 10 years!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Mr_Clean,

Just reading that increased my heart rate too. :shock:

Glad he caught it.

I have a small dent on the back of the neck of one of my guitars after it slid over and hit one of the legs of a music stand.

I now have three stands for the same reasons as you.

I remember the salesman trying to talk me into buying a stand with one of my guitars. One of those "if you buy a case I'll throw in a stand...." type of things. And I airily informed him I didn't use stands.

He probably thought "dumb newbie"!

I sure use them now. Great value for what they cost. Guitars look cool on stands too. :D

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

My Yamaha acoustic has fallen over several times and it's fine. I've hit the headstock against the ceiling a bunch of times, bumped it into chairs, door frames, ect. The only thing that left a mark was when it slid off onto a nasty brick next to my bed, and it just put a little ding in it near the endpin.

It's built like a freaking tank.

The strat isn't even a year old, so it's pretty much perfect aside from a belt buckle scratch only visible in reflective light. I've bumped the headstock on a few things and it hasn't done anything to it, either.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Oh yeah? Well my friend managed to let my Ephiphone SG Custom drop on the flaw, the day i got it! After screaming a 4 letter profanity I inspected it, and amazingly despite the fact it fell, knocking an amp and a cupboard its was still in perfect condition!
Now thats good quality finish work...Not that I would put that statement to the test again...

Oh and then theres my Jackson - The strap came lose at one end and it gave it 6 chips and a little dent...only had it for a week.
Hmmm, thats not a good omen for my new Jackson, which is being shipped from the US :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Beat this one: The other day I was standing up and decided to inspect the input jack on my Epi LP. Lifted it up to eye level and BAM! Headstock into the ceiling fan!!! I stood there for a moment feeling really stupid before I even looked at the guitar. Sure enough, a slight mark on the headstock where it chipped a small amount of paint off. It's on the very edge, so it's not that easily seen (thank goodness). Of course it was out of tune as well. Scary stuff!

Glad your buddy grabbed yours before it landed!

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Let's all exchange horriffic abuse stories! Isn't it fun?!
Notice, this topic ONLY works with guitars :lol:

Well, I haven't dropped mine yet, but I have a story.

'Twas the first time I ever changed guitar strings, and after I finished, and feeling proud of myself, went and got the string cutter. I was clipping some of the excess low E string, and I didn't notice, that, uh... the blade of the clipper was kinda centered on part of the headstock. I clip the string and I notice that a chunk of the headstock falls off. I think to myself, "hmmm where did that wood come from?" When I realized the horror! Thankfully it still works fine though.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I once had a guitar, I remember her well. A blue Ibanez rg550dx. I had her leaning up against the wall where only the head stock was against an old mirror hanging on the wall. The mirror weighted a ton, but it had been up there for 4 years! I'm guessing you know what happened next. BAM! CRASH! Meow#@!$eow?! There layed my axe flat like a pancake. Her neck was broken, she lost her whammy bar, glass was embedded into her side. There was no saving her. :cry:

Oh yeah, did I mention the cat got smashed too. :lol: He got a head start and it only hurt his leg. Hmm, I wonder who knocked the mirror down?

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll add another story to this post and it was my friend's ordeal to live through not mine. The same guy that caught my guitar. He is a pianist, a guitarist but primarily a drummer and he has an extensive and expensive drum kit. He had a gig with his band and I was helping him breakdown the drum kit when all of a suddent I hear this amazingly loud crash. Apparently, while putting all the cymbals in the carrying case, he backed off the stage with case in hand, fell on his rear and dropped the case before he could seal it, resulting in a ride cymbal hitting floor in just the correct manner necessary to break it in three places. WOW was he upset! Now I know how he felt.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My least favourite place in the world is the part of the stairs where the box room juts out over the stairs....the number of times I've been carrying a guitar downstairs, heard a loud thud and thought "hell I hope that was my head!!!!" (similar to the time I bought a half-bottle of Bell's to take home, fell over, felt something wet on my leg and thought "I hope that's blood!"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Notice, this topic ONLY works with guitars :lol:

I got news for you. It works for motorcycles too. Try putting some honey under someones ride and see them panic. :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Memories.......

In my last house, I had been playing my Yamaha acoustic. Went to bed that night, leaving it propped gently against the couch. Remember thinking "hmm, that's a bit dodgy leaving it there....." but too tired and under the influence to be bothered to move it.

In the morning, one lively three year old is tearing round the lounge.....yup, donk, crash......exit three year old (quickly).

Picked up the guitar. Headstock split almost in two......

I nearly cried. However my local guitar store arranged to have it glued and clamped. I can't say its as good as new, but its not far off it.

BUY A GUITAR STAND! :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i used one of these freak accidents to my advantage. my very first guitar was this cheap $100 laminated sam ash store brand ugly red thing that fell a few months after i got it. luckily for me because i decided to invest in my seagull which is the greatest thing in the world.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

i used one of these freak accidents to my advantage. my very first guitar was this cheap $100 laminated sam ash store brand ugly red thing that fell a few months after i got it. luckily for me because i decided to invest in my seagull which is the greatest thing in the world.

Seagull rocks, I just played on 3 or 4 of them last Friday. Loved them WAY more than all the crappy sounding Martins I played last Monday...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote