Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Ok to busk?

34 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Sure, just as long as you don't sit on your front porch with a stetson and a banjo, singing about the Alamo and how the government keeps screwing you.

But seriously, here in Wales (Cardiff to be precise) street guitarists are encouraged to play constructively and not too loudly.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I can't think of any public place here in Tallahassee, FL
that would be worth the effort. In New Orleans however
it is practically a law that one must busk anywhere and everywhere. I don't they call it busking though.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey, Me and a few friends got bored at a variety show practice once, so we all went out side a buskered, we got some money, and ppl took pictures of us and everything!
~PauL~

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Wow! I learned a new word! I never knew it was called busking. I'v done it before though, and I even made 37 cents!

ReplyQuote
(@flamtlcafan)

"Is it also illegal to beg for money? I don't get it. If a person needs the money, how are they going to live if it is illegal?"

they could get a J.O.B.

I have one...it sucks, but it keeps me off the streets ;D

Have you ever woken up sober after a one night stand and the person next to you is laying on your arm, and they are so ugly that you'd rather chew off your arm than risk waking them?THAT's Coyote Ugly

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

"Is it also illegal to beg for money? I don't get it. If a person needs the money, how are they going to live if it is illegal?"

they could get a J.O.B.

I have one...it sucks, but it keeps me off the streets ;D

Yeah, but IMHO busking is a job, right? I mean, I think it is pretty cool when I walk on the streets and I hear one or two dudes playing something. It might not be my style, but it livens daily live up a bit.

So go ahead and busk. Just have a few mates on both ends of the street keep an eye open for the cops  ;)

ReplyQuote
(@flamtlcafan)

I consider that "busking" is most definately a job, that's for sure....

There are some people that do this between gigs or whatever to make a few bucks on the side...

I dislike the people that just stand around and "beg"...it just irks me....here in Orlando, they make the beggers get a license and they must stand in these small blue squares that are painted on the sidewalks....it's very strange.

Have you ever woken up sober after a one night stand and the person next to you is laying on your arm, and they are so ugly that you'd rather chew off your arm than risk waking them?THAT's Coyote Ugly

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I work in midtown Atlanta and there are hobos everywhere. So fuggin annoying >:( "Can I have some change?" "Hell no! I worked for this change mofo!" "Get a Job!" *punches hobo*                *runs*

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Ok, so busking is cool, and someday I'm gonna give it try.
For some reason you dont see many buskers here in Brighton (thats in england, for you yanks), which is kinda wierd... i wonder if we are really living in a "1984 world" where buskers are extracted from the streets and taken to [shadow=red,left,300]room 101[/shadow], with thousands upon thousands of squier strats, and fingernails that wont grow, and that B string that just refuses to go into tune, and other such guitarists nightmares... hmm, i wonder. ???

So anyway, what should I play if I go out busking?

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

I consider that "busking" is most definately a job, that's for sure....
here in Orlando, they make the beggers get a license

have you read any disckworld novels, they have a beggars guild which is basically the same idea.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

another thing, n e 1 know n e good busking songs, i was thinkin slide version of bad to the bone, ive got amazing grace and wild thing. im not to good at singin though, but wildthing and bad... are ok from me... ne other suggestions?

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

Turn the page always gets me a good reaction, and my own song that I wrote, Sell my soul. Im always playing downtown, and sometimes when the bars get out, Im making three digits a night. I love windsor ontario, canada. We think we're a big city so we have a "strip" of like 20 bars and I live just a few blocks from the area.

ReplyQuote
(@ecthelion)

I also think that it depends on the area. One city might have no buskers, while in a city like San Francisco there's a legion of beggars and buskers, and signs encourage giving money to beggars and buskers.

ReplyQuote
(@teen_guitarist)

I like buskers. I think they are cool and I admire them for having the courage to stand there and play and sing in front of a bunch of passing strangers. Go and do it. And hey, maybe you can appease a cop by offering to take a request from him ;)

"After Changes upon changes, we are more or less the same." Paul Simon

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

Busking's perfectly legal in my state (Victoria), but you need a busking licence.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3