Clear all

Old Guitars

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So I picked up my old Ovation acoustic guitar last night. It's about 25 years old, not that I've been playing that long and it has dings, pings, scratches and dents. The strings need to be changed something awful and it has one million fingerprints all over it. And it sounded GREAT.

There something to be said about the sound of a cheap beat up guitar. You may not like his music but Willie Nelson has a hole in his guitar that you can put your hand through. (no, not the sound hole) Anyways, I was shocked at how much I really enjoyed playing that old thing. I mean if you were looking to purchase you'd certainly steer away from this one. But man, I started playing a few blues licks and it just had the certain sound to it. One I could never get out of my Taylor. The Ovation's got this "I've been around the block a few times" tone to it if you know what I mean.

So what's the moral of the story? I don't know. I guess it just felt good to be with an old friend again. :wink:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Moral of the story?
Dear, you're never too old to give a young lady her pleasure.
Is this forum rated PG? Sorry.

(I know, it was a loaded question and I pulled the trigger)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd rather play a guitar that has as many dents and dings as I do, especially if we suffered them at the same time. It builds character.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my favorite instrument is nearly nineteen years older than I am. it's my 1938 Richenbacher lap steel.
I believe that instruments take on the sound character of the long time owner. I think that is especially true of acoustics.
an old guitar has a sound soul. I could pick up any old guitar and play it the way I always do. but a guitar with a sound soul
gets me playing with more enthusiasm. the sensation is hard to explain.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

It's the difference between going to a 'show home' that has all the latest furniture and decorator's accessories but looks like nobody lives there, and dropping in at a friends place that is comfortable, cluttered, tatty and welcoming. The first is good to contemplate, but the second is where I'd rather be. The ideal home to visit is one that's scruffy enough to put you at your ease, but stops just this side of looking like you'll catch something from it that will neeed antibiotics to fix. I feel much the same about instruments. Worn in is good.

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

I would think, especially with acoustics, that the wood ages, expands, contracts, etc. and would change the sound. Sounds like you lucked out and that one aged quite well.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I would think, especially with acoustics, that the wood ages, expands, contracts, etc. and would change the sound. Sounds like you lucked out and that one aged quite well.

you bet. Over the years that guitar has been put away in a garage (through the winter and summer months), beat up, banged up and otherwise mangeld. The action is so high, it feels like you're playing on a cheese grater. But, I love it. :cry:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Never try playing on a cheese grater, i have a habit of practising chord changes (finger shapes) on whatever happens to be laying around and not good.

Jack

ReplyQuote