Clear all

Older guitars=thinner necks?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I was reading something online today about some remakes of 60's strats...and is it true that old strats (not sure if it's the case for other guitars) had thinner necks than they do today?

If so how much of a difference is it?

Thanks.

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi Kev :D

Well.... It depends on which way you mean....?

*From vintage guitar info*

Neck Back Shapes (profiles), all guitar and bass models.
Fender neck shapes have changed through the years too.

1950 to 1955: Fender neck shapes (all models) have a standard large and chunky "D" profile (big "baseball bat" style neck).
1956: Fender necks change to a large and chunky "soft V" profile.
1957: the "V" shape gets much stronger. This 1957 "strong V" neck profile becomes famous, and musicians like Eric Clapton prefer its shape. Some Fender necks produced have a "small strong V", where the neck isn't so big feeling, but still has a very strong "V" shape (mostly seen on Musicmasters and Duosonics, and the occassional Strat).
1958: the neck profile completely changes, with the "V" shape completely gone. It's back to a conventional "D" neck profile, but not nearly as thick and large as 1955 and prior neck profiles. This neck style is used on most reissue Fenders (regardless of the year being copied).
1959 and later: the "D" profile gets yet a bit smaller and less chunky. With the release of rosewood fingerboards on all models in mid-1959, the "D" neck profiles pretty much stay the same throughout the 1960s with only minor variance from year to year (for example, 1962 necks seem to be a bit chunkier than 1959 to 1961 necks).
Neck Width.
From March 1962 to 1969, Fender marked their necks with an "official" neck width letter at the butt of the neck (in front of the date code). The "B" neck width is the normal width, as used on about 99% of all Fenders from this period. All other sizes were available by special order only. Also all pre-1962 Fender necks have a 1 5/8" nut width (though I'm sure there are some exceptions, but none I have seen).

A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.
My 88 American Standard Strat has a 1 11/16" nut width = 1/16 'thicker' than the old 'standard' "B" width of 1 5/8.
I believe 1 11/16 is the new standard width for Strats.

I had an old 60's Gibbo SG ('66?), and it had the '60's slim taper neck' .... That was THE THINNEST neck I've ever encountered!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

To add to Ken's great info, the modern "wizard" necks found on super-strat style guitars (a la Ibanez, Jackson, etc.) are much thinner than older style necks. If you're talking only about traditional strat styles, then Ken covers it well.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Thankx for that add Mitch :D

And reading over the Fender info again,
I guess I should say (and I'm sure that at least Mitch would agree) that the
author of that info keeps refering to 'V' and 'D' neck profiles....
If any of you have heard us talk about 'U' neck profiles, that would be
the proper term for what's being called a 'D' in the above info.

Also, my 88 Strat has a 'Modern C' neck profile which I believe is sometimes refered to
as a 'flat oval' shape....
Which would be 'thinner' than both the 'U' or the 'V' shapes.

Ken

EDIT:
And furthur reading of the 'V' & 'D' article,
I think the author remains with a 'D' profile in 59 - early 60's that
he says is 'less chunky' and such....
I believe that that would be a 'C' profile.

Which is why the new ones are called 'Modern C' shapes, as they have a Flatter back
than the older Rounded back 'C's....

Hope that's not too confusing! :shock:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I've never found neck thickness matters (unless its HUGE). As long as it plays real smooth then it'll be comfortable to play fast, manufacturers definitely overplay the importance of a thin neck. Ibanez Prestige Wizard necks are so thin your liable to break it some day, and I was disappointed at how they played...Maybe cos I just prefer the feel of a neck with finish on the back, like a neck-thru or set-thru.

EDIT: actually no thats not true either, my friends bolt-on American Telecaster plays beautifully.

ReplyQuote