On modes (thanks to GN, Tom and David)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

First of all, I want to thank to Tom by writing the series of lessons on scales. I have been reading them in the newsletter and I work on them when I get some time. They are very interesting. And thanks to David for editing them and also for writing his own lessons.

I think I have been able to understand the modes thanks to the Part 6 of the series. I already knew all the theory, I knew named them, I knew built them, etc. although I didn't know how to use them. Now I think I am in the correct path.

I have been working on modes these months. As some of you probably remember I am using the Jody Fisher's books on jazz guitar but I didn't understood so well the modes. I think they are not well explained there, perhaps he doesn't use the correct point of view or he doesn't dedicate enough space.

Modes are scales and as Tom wrote if you're going to relate them to something, relate them to a scale with the same key note. And another cite: there's no such thing as a “modal fingering”. I have been practicing fingerings and forgetting them with each new mode I tried to learn. These two sentences are almost all it is needed to know about modes, at least they opened my eyes.

Now, one of my favorite tunes that I play in almost every instrument I can play is Scarborough Fair. Last weekend I was working on the latest David's lesson on this song (I already did it some months ago when I studied his book). I always thought that the melody used the natural minor scale and a weird note out of the scale. I was terribly wrong! All the notes belong to the scale but it is not the natural minor, it is the Dorian scale!

As it can be read in this lesson on modes by Beth Isbell, everyone seems to have his or her own “Aha!” moment when it comes to modes. This one was my "Aha!" moment.

If you know how to read it and apply it, practically all you need for guitar and music is in Guitar Noise!

PS. I was going to post in the lessons forum but as it is not a specific question on the lessons, it is an experience, I think it is better this forum. As usual, please, moderators move it to the best place.

(@stephenbutler)
Eminent Member

great experience! Thanks for sharing. Especially the "Aha!" part. It would be great if there was a musical epiphany thread somewhere. hint hint.

congrats on your quest paying off!

ReplyQuote